Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2004 Disco II that's making a very strange intermittent noise. I've posted a short video from underneath the engine looking up at the (very oily) oil pan.
— you can hear the strange sound about 7 seconds in.

It sounds a bit like a wet badger playing with ball bearings inside the engine. :\

The oil pressure light is NOT on. There's no CEL either. The sound is intermittent.

I don't want to drive it until I have a clearer idea of what the issue may be. Tomorrow I'm going to drop the oil pan.

Does anyone have any ideas here? Does it sound like a failing oil pump? Failing water pump? (I am losing quite a bit of coolant from somewhere – maybe a quart in a couple hundred miles – though there's no noticeable spots on the garage floor… I'm thinking it's head gasket time there)

I've never heard a sound like it, honestly, but I'm not a super experienced gearhead like many of y'all.

Your insight is appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took off the shroud and serpentine belt after noticing a slight wobble of the fan / water pump. Without the belt tension on it I can rock the fan back and forth *a lot*. Replacing the water pump today. Fingers crossed it's related to the sound. (Certainly related to my coolant loss…)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I took off the shroud and serpentine belt after noticing a slight wobble of the fan / water pump. Without the belt tension on it I can rock the fan back and forth *a lot*. Replacing the water pump today. Fingers crossed it's related to the sound. (Certainly related to my coolant loss…)
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if your using a quart of coolant in a couple hundred miles and there's not a lake under your truck, your headgaskets are shot, or worse. That much coolant doesn't evaporate into the ether, it's coming out your tailpipe or mixing with your oil, or both.
If it's not obvious, get your coolant tested for exhaust gases and check your oil to make sure your not making a milkshake in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, helievacpilot. The exhaust does seem like it contains more moisture than normal. The oil doesn't look milky at all. But I do you believe you're right that it's time for a headgasket. In the meantime, this water pump is totally shot, too. I was replacing it today and all was going well until the nipple of the PEH000080 hose junction broke … now we're gonna be down a car for another week until the part comes in. Bah!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.