Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres what ive got. ive got 1500$ up to 2000$ if needed.

Heres what i need , 97 discovery I, she has 181,099 miles on her today, She feels a lil loose in the steering, clunks on the bumps, has exhaust leaks and needs a tranny flush, so i want to get some more life out of her, it starts and runs great still. absolutely love this truck. Its used like a truck and starting to feel a bit on the worn side from work site use. can 1500$ go far with the list below?

Non leaking power steering pump used or new or even a gasket kit? I think the 265/75/16 cooper discoverers killed off the power steering pump...
New ball joints , preferably with grease fittings ( will drillntap to fit)
New tie rods ( mine are crooked)
new shocks front and rear ( really want to go with tall narrow tires and old man emu setup for articulation and traction on terrain, without the wheel rub and driveline wear from big tires.( suggestions?)
new steering stabilizer, Completely rusted out.
new exhaust manifold back, preferrebly dual straight pipes no cats ( no emissions testing here :) need some good tips for a lovely purr, not loud.
new tires x 5 ( need tall narrow high grip tires that wear like iron Ex.General at / Dean wildcat etc )
new spark plugs n wires ( recommended equipment)
rear brake pads
transmission fluid change / transfercase fluid change is this safe? i have a clunk when shifting from drive to reverse etc. shifts smoothly when accelerating in all gears. is this safe to change out the fluid?
new wheel bearings x 4 ( not needed but want to do before they stick on hub )
valve cover gaskets ( rear main seal leaks ever slightly but not enough to care)
Firestone Air support bags on the rear ( adjustable load air springs) any experience with these? would be used along with manual shocks and springs to raise rear end of vehicle to reduce rear overhang crunch.
Fuel tank and steering guards.

driveline slack adjustment or rotoflex coupler??? i cant tell what the slack is.

I plan to do most of the labor, other than the transmission/transfer fluid change, no big pans :) , tire change and exhaust. can all this be done, on 1500$ ? any tips for saving money on equipment. or any recommendatoins for equipment, i wanna hear them.

·
Registered
720 Posts
You should be able to do a fair amount of the work for under $2k provided you aren't in a hurry. If you are near a high population area, you might be able to find a used set of the tires you want really cheap (I found an excellent set of H rated Michelins for our Volvo for $120 by watching Buy and Sell/Craigs List.
I've never seen a cheap replacement for the power steering pump but there is bound to be one (Chevy?)
Be careful mucking around with the exhaust system - whatever you do, make sure the back pressure suits the engine
If you look at the wheel bearings, the numbers should be your way to get cheap replacements.
If there is an older suspension shop near you, one of the experienced guys might be able to make up tie rods with domestic (cheap) ball joints that are stronger than the stock Rover parts. They might have to ream the tapers...

All the best.

·
Man, why do people let Google index EVERYTHING?
21 Posts
Before you replace that pump, put a Magnafine filter on it and see if that helps. Flush it first, a few times, clean the screen, and then put the filter on the return line.

I had a PS pump replaced on a minivan, and it was brand new, still whined after the install. The mechanic said "let the Lucas get into it". Well ,that's BS. I ordered a Magnafine filter from Rockauto, installed it in the Napa parking lot (had to get extra crimps and a piece of hose). The whine was gone before I left the parking lot.

There was a bit of trash in the system that flushing wouldn't get out. They were originally designed for transmissions. I'd put one there, too. The built in screen is bunk for filtering.

I think Rockauto just classifies it as an inline filter under the steering listing and/or transmission listing on their website. They are about $15~20. They come in two diameters, so know which one you need.

I've seen Carquest special order them, but I've never seen anyone stock them locally.

Even if you end up replacing it, you need to put a filter on it to protect the new pump.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Heres what ive got. ive got 1500$ up to 2000$ if needed.

Heres what i need , 97 discovery I, she has 181,099 miles on her today, She feels a lil loose in the steering, clunks on the bumps, has exhaust leaks and needs a tranny flush, so i want to get some more life out of her, it starts and runs great still. absolutely love this truck. Its used like a truck and starting to feel a bit on the worn side from work site use. can 1500$ go far with the list below?

Non leaking power steering pump used or new or even a gasket kit? I think the 265/75/16 cooper discoverers killed off the power steering pump...
New ball joints , preferably with grease fittings ( will drillntap to fit)
New tie rods ( mine are crooked)
new shocks front and rear ( really want to go with tall narrow tires and old man emu setup for articulation and traction on terrain, without the wheel rub and driveline wear from big tires.( suggestions?)
new steering stabilizer, Completely rusted out.
new exhaust manifold back, preferrebly dual straight pipes no cats ( no emissions testing here :) need some good tips for a lovely purr, not loud.
new tires x 5 ( need tall narrow high grip tires that wear like iron Ex.General at / Dean wildcat etc )
new spark plugs n wires ( recommended equipment)
rear brake pads
transmission fluid change / transfercase fluid change is this safe? i have a clunk when shifting from drive to reverse etc. shifts smoothly when accelerating in all gears. is this safe to change out the fluid?
new wheel bearings x 4 ( not needed but want to do before they stick on hub )
valve cover gaskets ( rear main seal leaks ever slightly but not enough to care)
Firestone Air support bags on the rear ( adjustable load air springs) any experience with these? would be used along with manual shocks and springs to raise rear end of vehicle to reduce rear overhang crunch.
Fuel tank and steering guards.

driveline slack adjustment or rotoflex coupler??? i cant tell what the slack is.

I plan to do most of the labor, other than the transmission/transfer fluid change, no big pans :) , tire change and exhaust. can all this be done, on 1500$ ? any tips for saving money on equipment. or any recommendatoins for equipment, i wanna hear them.
I am not sure that 1500.00 will be enough.
power steering..its the pumps they use not the tires 300.00 no chevy one is going to fit. Buy rover parts whenever possible. The vehicle is designed fine..clean out the fluid, put new fluid in
tie rod ends are cheap enough 125.00 for all.
steering stabilizer...cheap enough get a stock unit. dont waste money here 90.00
exhaust..up to you dont know where you live but ...dual will cost you, tough to route under there thats why they use 2 into one then one exit pipe. $$$
tires 700.00 to 800.00 depends
spark plugs wires 100.00
rear brake pads? what the fronts are good but not the rear? 150.00=all
Tranny fluid change and filter 250.00 probably. or buy big pan...lol
Transfer case fluid change (90 weight) thats where the clunk is coming from probably. Check front drive shaft first thing-These wear out and break, then take out t-case when they are whipping around under there at 50 PMH.
Wheel bearings- just inspect them. they arent that much.
just get 2 inch lift springs instead of the air bags unless your towing or carrying huge loads. they are cheaper than air bags
valve cover gaskets. 15.00.lol
fuel tank guard and steering guards? make them or spend a $400.00
rotoflex. just look at it if the rubber is in good shape it isnt tearing or cracking..its fine/ Check all the u-joints front and rear.

Buy land rover parts when you can afford it. saving 20 bucks on something that isnt as good isnt worth it...good luck..and buy a manual!! your gonna need it

·
very disco
1,519 Posts
Lolol.
nine.
years.
ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts