Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Range Rover County Classic SWB
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Been a while since I updated.... need to write a long post. I've put about 10,000 miles on since purchase, have gone through two thermostat housings and two sets of valve cover gaskets, as well as a catalytic converter. Otherwise, no real "problems -- not to mention I even had it featured in Ralph Lauren's pre-fall 2021 catalog.. pictures and more to come soon when I have time to write it up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Been a while since I updated.... need to write a long post. I've put about 10,000 miles on since purchase, have gone through two thermostat housings and two sets of valve cover gaskets, as well as a catalytic converter. Otherwise, no real "problems -- not to mention I even had it featured in Ralph Lauren's pre-fall 2021 catalog.. pictures and more to come soon when I have time to write it up.
Sounds like you're using a RRC in the truest way it's meant to be used! Would love to see the magazine glamour shots.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sounds like you're using a RRC in the truest way it's meant to be used! Would love to see the magazine glamour shots.
I'm trying to! If you go to the below links there are some

Will post a large update shortly, have 7 months of photos :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Update:

Miles since purchase in December:
10,000 now at 165k.
Longest single-day trip: NY/CT -> Maine, ~7 hours of driving each way.... like a champ

Keep in mind, the last owner from 2018-2020 drove it under 2500 miles, and the owner(s) before that, #1 and #2 had a pretty consistent 7-10k/year or so, then each owner after sort of tapered off in use... so things are bound to break.

Noteable repairs / work done in the last 10,000 miles:
Dec:
- new thermostat, a previous owner down the line had installed a "cooler" thermostat (in California?) which wouldnt allow for the heat to get....warmer in the winter here.
April:
- replaced entire steering shaft, coolant leak fix, thermostat housing #1 (just before a trip up to the Adirondacks, the first "longest trip" with the truck...)
July:
- Blew out all sunroof drains (clogged)
August:
- Driver side catalytic converter imploded...removed all innards of driver and passenger cats..... & coolant leak fix, thermostat housing #2 (just before a trip up to Maine, the current "longest trip")
September:
  • Rotor arm in distributor gave out, after a trip to Maine and back, a few days later, stalled out in my hometown....
  • New Koito H4 e-code healights installed (like night and day... pun intended)

Other than the above, can't say I have any major complaints. Most of the above are typical wear items, some of which came simply with driving the truck more than it's been driven in years.
The spring was spent mostly driving to the Catskills and back on the weekends, 1.5-3 hours there and back, mixed with a 15 min daily commute every few days.

Now that most of the mechanicals have been addressed... can start to move to improving the interior, paint, and other misc items!

Will add some of my favourite pics from the last 10 months.

10k miles and 10 months in, still extremely happy with my purchase. I've grown to accept it will need repairs now and then... my friends and I have come up with the phrase, " #oldcarsarefun "

Upcoming plans in no particular order:
  • re-install factory radio, but install a hidden aftermarket radio for OEM look but upgraded functionality
  • refresh dashboard large wood piece, shifter surround wood, window switch surround wood ...prev owner had wrapped in grey vinyl to hide wood and backdate it... want to show my wood ;)
  • Fresh Undercoat/waxoyl
  • Remove and repaint tailight grille covers (showing some rust)
  • front headlamp grilles / brush guards - found a set from the UK, just want to figure out a way to install without drilling into body and bumper....
  • custom cupholder setup using a mercedes G55 OEM cupholder....
  • remove and re-wrap D pillar vinyl
  • Hatch glass frame rusted a bit, need to replace (rest of truck virtually rust free for the mileage and age) - no rush on this
  • pulll carpets and try to steam / refresh OR buy new set
  • may consider reupholstering the front seats....
  • "polish" (?) all the glass, add ceramic tint that does not add any darkness to the fishbowl look, but helps protect from UV and rays in the hot days of summer...
  • build a trunk "sportsman/gun/field" box, much like a Holland & Holland (or like many many privately owned Rovers in the UK and Europe), with beautful burled wood to match the wood tirm in the truck. I don't go hunting but I do go clay shooting. The build would be mostly for the look, and the functionality would be that it is a much more elegant solution than my collapsible plastic trunk crate, for holding all the spares, liquids, tools, cleaning supplies, emergency supplies, that I carry in the trunk of the Rover on every single drive.... these are quick pricey to buy to spec, hard to find pre-owned (in the US at least), so may try to build something similar, or (my wife's idea) to re-purpose a burled wood dresser to fit it in the trunk....

if anybody has any tips on the above, I'd love to hear ideas..

21 - 27 of 27 Posts