Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have done a lot of research and have been eyeing and LR3 for a while before finally taking a plunge. I got a 2008 HSE with 114k miles sight unseen. The photos looked good, two owners and showing some maintenance history. Here’s everything I found wrong with it so far:
  • Transmission only going into reverse (* fixed, using the shifter linkage bush kit from Lucky8)
  • Rear brake line burst when it was getting unloaded from the trailer, rear brake lines rusted. If you’re in the northeast, check yours!
  • Coolant low
  • Drive shaft center bearing rubber started to crack, discovered after removing exhaust and heat shields. I may let it go for a bit, still debating.
  • LH front tie rod is loose
  • suspension is slow to rise. It has AMK compressor, doesn’t sound bad when it is on and suspension stays up after pulling a fuse, even after a few days. I ordered valve block and compressor rebuild kits.
  • front LH roof drain is leaking.
  • transfer case appears to be leaking, most likely from the front shaft seal.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Northeast winters are not kind to the steel. Body is in great shape just undercarriage rust, not too bad but sure makes it hard to take anything apart. I am taking an arsenal of wire brushes to clean it up and put some rust encapsulator. Here some photos on the jack stands and right after it arrived.

·
very disco
2,815 Posts
Nice. It seemed like just yesterday these were brand new, now they’re teetering on the brink of “classic”

Reactions: HOUM_WA

·
Registered
318 Posts
I was talking about this with a buddy just yesterday....and it led to a discussion of what "classic" really means. What are the criteria? Timeless design, no longer produced, uses technology that is obsolete but still desirable....what else? Maybe a vehicle that was the best at its specific mission? idk....thoughts?

·
very disco
2,815 Posts
I think those are all applicable criterion.

if I had to summarize it, it would be “withstood the test of time and remains desirable.” The only question mark is how long does that take?

I occasionally listen to KZOK and I’ve started to hear music that was released in my younger days on the “classic rock” station…

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yup....all the stuff from my high school days are getting played on classic stations. I guess I forgot the "time" aspect itself in the criteria. I think 20 years is the Mendoza Line for that. So....four more years for my '05! Not that it matters....I'm NEVER selling that thing.

·
very disco
2,815 Posts
I don’t know if I love my 3 enough to drop a 12k motor and tranny into (like my D2), but I’ll definitely drive it until the wheels fall off!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LR3 has a pretty solid motor and trans, the wheels will probably fall off before the drivetrain gives (assuming it’s maintained). I have been watching the auctions for a while and seen quite a few with 200K+ miles that are still running. For some reason there are a lot of 5.0 LR4s with mechanical issues, probably the timing chain stays on the earlier models. I love Disco 2, it’s a definite classic. If this LR3 pans out it maybe my next project.

·
very disco
2,815 Posts
my D3 has 201,500 right now, and it's rocking and rolling... it takes a lot of mechanical smoothness to meet the wife's "daily driver" acceptance.

she likes the ride better than the D2, although the D2 is 5" lifted on knobby 34s

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Exhaust and heat shields are off, I have my answer on the driveshaft. Center bearing will be gone very soon, new shaft is in order.
Brake lines are proving to be more of a challenge than expected. Rear AC lines will make it impossible to snake pre bent lines through. I will have to revise my plan and bend my own or remove the AC lines, not sure which is worse.

driveshaft center bearing

AC lines in the way of the brake lines

transfer case appears to leak from the front shaft input

·
very disco
2,815 Posts
driveshaft center
gnarly!

my friend redid his lines on another vehicle, and used some short splices of high performance braided line to maneuver through areas where untenable amounts of disassembly were required. It’s not my favorite solution but it’s still going strong

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my friend redid his lines on another vehicle, and used some short splices of high performance braided line to maneuver through areas where untenable amounts of disassembly were required. It’s not my favorite solution but it’s still going strong
Not a bad idea. I may try copper nickel line first, I should be able to snake it through and make the bends in place so it doesn’t touch anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have done a lot of research and have been eyeing and LR3 for a while before finally taking a plunge. I got a 2008 HSE with 114k miles sight unseen. The photos looked good, two owners and showing some maintenance history. Here’s everything I found wrong with it so far:
  • Transmission only going into reverse (* fixed, using the shifter linkage bush kit from Lucky8)
  • Rear brake line burst when it was getting unloaded from the trailer, rear brake lines rusted. If you’re in the northeast, check yours!
  • Coolant low
  • Drive shaft center bearing rubber started to crack, discovered after removing exhaust and heat shields. I may let it go for a bit, still debating.
  • LH front tie rod is loose
  • suspension is slow to rise. It has AMK compressor, doesn’t sound bad when it is on and suspension stays up after pulling a fuse, even after a few days. I ordered valve block and compressor rebuild kits.
  • front LH roof drain is leaking.
  • transfer case appears to be leaking, most likely from the front shaft seal.

View attachment 93117
@Carb0nation Congrats to you here! I just took the plunge myself on a 2008 LR3 SE with 113k. It was a southeast easy, daily driver with all dealer maintenance from what the service records show. I just finished fighting the ole sunroof drain issue here, but have emerged on the other side of that now. I am just getting the headliner finished up and interior ready to go back together. Otherwise, mine appears to be in great shape. Best of luck to you

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Carb0nation Congrats to you here! I just took the plunge myself on a 2008 LR3 SE with 113k. It was a southeast easy, daily driver with all dealer maintenance from what the service records show. I just finished fighting the ole sunroof drain issue here, but have emerged on the other side of that now. I am just getting the headliner finished up and interior ready to go back together. Otherwise, mine appears to be in great shape. Best of luck to you
Thank you. Congrats on your Rover, enjoy it!

·
very disco
2,815 Posts
Hehe. Shafted.

i respect allmakes 4x4. Both GKN and AllMakes are aftermarket providers of OEM spec gear. Lots of boutique rover shops use allmakes. I’m not very familiar with GKN

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hehe. Shafted.

i respect allmakes 4x4. Both GKN and AllMakes are aftermarket providers of OEM spec gear. Lots of boutique rover shops use allmakes. I’m not very familiar with GKN
Not knocking allmakes but it’s definitely cheaper. GKN makes driveshafts for OEM, they use friction pressure welds, are balanced at the factory and manufactured with tighter tolerances. Other aftermarket shafts use ARC welding, as a result they are heavier and may have balance issues causing vibration at higher speed.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts