Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2003 Discovery S and was considering putting in third row seats. If I bought them from ebay or someplace other than the dealer, how much installation do you think is required? Would it be possible to install them w/o the dealer, and how big of a project would it be? Thanks guys!
Matt

·
Registered
209 Posts
No hard feelings....... :)

I have an SE7, but only because I have children and have to haul one of them in the back. Unless you have kids under 12, you don't need the seats. They look cool, but they take up quite a bit of storage space.

If you tried to stick an adult in one of those seats for more than 5 minutes, they would probably hate you for life.

Having said all of that, keep in mind that you're not only installing the seats (a couple brackets in the side) but you also have to put in the head rests through the headliner, attach all of the seat belt hardware, and put the locking brackets into the floor board. Not impossible, but a fair amount of work.

Keep us posted on your decision.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey.

With your kids that sit back there, have you found that the single lap belt is sufficient? And is it possible to retrofit a shoulder strap along with it? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Carlos said:
Also you will have to modify your suspension,or just add the SLS from another junked Disco.
Carlos
Yes and the foldaway head restraints, the hydraulic step.:beer:

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I believe you will find that the cargo floor pan in a SE7 has a different shape and support to handle the additional seats, where your truck won't makeing it real hard to do any sort of a clean and well supported set of mounts for the seats.
Mike

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
It's easier to sell yours and buy one that's fitted with all the seats. It requires a donor vehicle, as the side panels and overhead trim etc are all different. You also need a different floor, many many brackets, seat belt assemblies etc. You don't have to change the suspension at all though- not all +7's had SLS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Muddy Oval said:
You also need a different floor
Not true...I just performed this on my '99 DII and all of the locations needed to mount seat belts, brackets, floor latches, etc., where there. What is best to find a donor vehicle though and get everything for the swap. I bought my set up from Will Tillery and he sent me EVERYTHING! Cannot say enough good things about him.

PS. My local dealer told me that it was impossible to do this and that he personally knew 6 separate people that tried the modification and failed. :confused

I have the instructions electronically somewhere if you would be interested in seeing what is involved...

·
Registered
464 Posts
HEHE!! I have hauled people in the back before! They HATED IT! If I slammed on the brakes they would almost scream! :D

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
My 04 didn't have any of the fitments for the floor brackets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not true...I just performed this on my '99 DII and all of the locations needed to mount seat belts, brackets, floor latches, etc., where there. What is best to find a donor vehicle though and get everything for the swap. I bought my set up from Will Tillery and he sent me EVERYTHING! Cannot say enough good things about him.

PS. My local dealer told me that it was impossible to do this and that he personally knew 6 separate people that tried the modification and failed. :confused

I have the instructions electronically somewhere if you would be interested in seeing what is involved...

Hi There

I read with interest that you succesfully managed to fit Jump seats , dispite being told that it couldn't be done.

I wondered how I could contact Will Tilery to purchase a kit of possible ? and if you could send me the technical fitting details you had ?

I am wanting to convert a 2002 Discovery II Serengeti model from 5 seats to make it 7 .

I'd appreciate any help or advice you could offer

Derek

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just purchased on 03 Disco II and it has the rear seats. I will never use them and want to gain some additional space for my dogs, so I am going to pull them. If I pull them out and want to sell them, what other parts should I pull out with them, for the buyer? Will I have a lot of unsightly holes anywhere or do I need any different trim panels when they are gone? Should I be able to trade trim parts with the buyer?

·
Registered
224 Posts
just to reiterate, this is not just swapping seats. its the entire back third of the truck including the plastic side wall mouldings (where the seats fold into), the roof etc.

looks awesome big waste if no kids as was mentioned in the 2nd post

·
Disco II Newb Rehabing a Mall Rover
220 Posts
As a suggestion, have you thought about looking at a Jeep's folding rear bench seat? I've seen a few retrofitted into Early Broncos. As long as you have a flat floor to hard mount them to, they're a straight forward install. They fold forward like the backs seats (second row seats, I guess). I don't know about the LR's floors to know if the Jeep seats would be a safe install, but if they were, it's straightforward. Also, the folding seats are removable for normal running around and easily installed when you anticipate the need for the extra butt hauling.

As for the LR's stock 3rd row seats, I've got them in my rig and can attest that they're only useful for amputees and kids. An adult with legs would have to sit sideways... probably why the old school LRs had sidefacing seats in the first place. My guess... LR wasn't able to get crash test approval for the sidefacing seats, so they designed a set that had "normal" seating positions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am in the process of removing mine and trading with someone right now. A lot of you are just talking absolute nonsense here. Upgrade the suspension? Come on, what the hell are you thinking. The cargo area is setup for cargo that will weigh the same or even more than the people you are going to stick back there.

Here is what you need to swap or get.

The lower left and right bottom side trim. This is what the seats will fold into when in the stored position. You loose the storage boxes to do this.

The upper left and right top side trim. You need to swap these because they have areas to fit the shoulder belts.

Seat belts, of course. They install behind the trim panels you are getting.

The small upper trim above the rear door. This has the holes the headrests bolt through.

Headrests of course.

On the carpet, you will just cut your own and install the trim around the cut for a clean look. You will need the trim from the person providing the seats. Or swap carpets.

Couple of nuts and bolts and brackets that are obvious when doing the job also need to go.

Whole process of removing it is an hour or two and that is going very slow.

I can not say for certain that your car will have the nutserets everywhere they need to be, but my Disco did not come from the factory with the rear seats. I have a straight S model. So, they were retro'd in by the previous owner, but it is obvious to me that all the mounting locations already existed.

This is not a difficult job and requires nothing more than a few common household tools and a little common sense. No fabrication or mechanical skills are needed.

This is real life recent experience, not wild ass speculation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Couple more comments. If you are missing some hardware to complete the job, it is nothing special. Just go get it at the hardware store and stick with Grade 8.

Don't swap carpets, way more work than needed. Plain old stupid if you ask me. But, it can be done.

Easiest way to do this is to trade with someone who has seats but does not want them. That is what we are doing. I need his trim and he needs mine. One person ships it and then the other ships it back in the same box.

Buy a handfull of the stupid clips that secure the trim to the body, BEFORE you start the work. I WILL need them as they are absolute sh!t and will end up broken. They cost like a quarter and can be gotten at autozone or similar. They are not specific, just buy the one that looks similar.

The rear step is not necessary. I don't even think it is very usefull for an adult entering the rear, but you can trade it if you want.

Grow a pair, grab some pliers and a screw driver and just do it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Trade your jump seats and trim for my trim

I want to find someone in Colorado who doesn't want their third row seats from their Disco II. I have a 2003 HSE with black interior and want to trade trim for trim and maybe some cash.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This message is for "avking" - I have a 2000 Disco II and am (was) looking to find a way to do an SE7 jump seat conversion (but with only one, the right hand, seat not both). I spoke with Jim (@ Biggs LR) and he told me that it would be an extremely difficult undertaking (welding, cutting, swearing, etc.); at that point I asked him if a Disco I jump seat (side facing) could be retrofitted. All I'm looking for is to put in one such seat and still maintain one (left side) of the stock SE storage bins. I have been told by quite a few sources that 2000-2002 Disco II jump seat retros are a major undertaking (unlike the 1999 Disco II apparently). With that in mind, does anyone know about Disco I to Disco II jump seat conversions? Thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts