Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a non running 2000 Disco 2 for $650 the other day, got it in the shop and found that the Air Pump line was melted, fixed that issue put some fuel in it and it started up. It is running very rich, the fuel gauge doesn't work and the MIL is blinking steadily. The codes it throws are:

PO154
PO264
PO302
PO304
PO463
P1300
P1590

I noticed that the exhaust is white, the head gasket and timing belt were replaced less than 20k miles ago, it does have the 8mm wires. My question is where do I start? Will a bad fuel pump put the ECU in limp mode and cause it to run rich giving me the misfire codes?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, it will not move in "D" I have to put it in 1st and shift it manually, I know this is a setting for low range, but it is in High, could the fluid levels just be low in the transmission?

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I always cringe when someone says I bought a "non-running" or cheap D2. They usually end up being money-pits. Yours sounds like it has this potential. It's going to be very difficult to diagnose all of your problems "on-line". Know this going in. Unless you have a lot of time, patience, and money, this one sounds like a loser. I would cut my losses and sell it. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
To assist people trying to diagnose:

P0154 - B2S1 02 NO RESPONSE
P0264 - CYL. 2 INJECTOR CIRCUIT LOW
P0302 - CYL. 2 MISFIRE
P0304 - CYL. 4 MISFIRE
P0463 - FUEL LEVEL SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH INPUT
P1300 - RANDOM MULTIPLE MISFIRE
P1590 - ABS ROUGH ROAD MALFUNCTION

The 154 code calls for a new bank 2 sensor 1 O2 sensor. The 1590 code references the 3 amigos and you'll likely need to replace the seals and do the option B fix.

All of the other codes I believe are related. The only issue is there could be any number of problems causing them. The fuel pump is likely bad - however you can check this by buying or renting a fuel pressure test gauge to see if the pressure is good (50PSI). This MAY resolve your problems, but I think the car has bigger issues. Namely I think the head gasket failed again leading to the white exhaust smoke you're seeing.

Your first step should be to compression test the engine to eliminate blown head gaskets or a damaged block/heads. Compression should be 150+ PSI across the board. Any cylinder reading considerably lower than the rest indicates a problem.

If the compression is good and a fuel pump fixes it then you got really lucky. If the compression is bad I would throw in the towel, part out the truck, and recoup your losses. $650 is a good deal, but once you start throwing parts at it the bill could exceed $1000 or more - and you can get a running 2000 with that money.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Forgot to address the transmission issue.

Low fluid typically won't cause the symptoms you're having but it doesn't hurt to check. Get the engine up to operating temp and pull the fill plug on the face of the transmission. Add fluid until a thin stream flows out. Then have someone set the handbrake and shift the transmission throughout all the gear while you pump additional fluid in until it flows out again. This will ensure that it is full.

If that doesn't help you're looking at a transmission rebuild which means that there's no way to fix this car for cheaper than you could get an already-running model.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I always cringe when someone says I bought a "non-running" or cheap D2. They usually end up being money-pits. Yours sounds like it has this potential. It's going to be very difficult to diagnose all of your problems "on-line". Know this going in. Unless you have a lot of time, patience, and money, this one sounds like a loser. I would cut my losses and sell it. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
Heh, I bought mine for bluebook and its still a money pit, what rover isnt? ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do these vehicles have a modulator on the transmission? White smoke can be caused if atf is being sucked into the intake. The exhaust doesn't have a sweet smell like you usually get with a bad head gasket. There is no oil in the coolant system either, the compression is 155+ on every cylinder so i don't think the issue is head related, I could be wrong but it appears to be something else. I just read the sticky on the the amigos and I will do option b to correct that. The fuel pump is putting out 15 psi so I know that's bad.

The reason I asked about the fluid level in the tranny is that when it is in d I can hear the pump moving fluid which seems odd.

What would give me the short to ground on the #2 injector?

Thanks for your replies, this car is in great condition so I'd like to get it on the road.

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
380 Posts
There was a guy who previously posted, not a week ago, actually describing a fluid sounds in his transmission, Id suggest changing the filter and adding the correct amount of fluid in there. Ill find a link to it, I think he resolved his problem by changing the fluid also.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Okay, found a service bullitin which addresses my problems and symptoms exactly:
Land Rover Repair: ecu / gear box, discovery series ii, range rover p38

Seems fluid level is the first culprit.

Also found this:

Common Problems That Trigger the P0722 Code:
Defective Output Speed Sensor
Defective Shift Solenoids
Defective Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
Defective Valve Body
Dirty transmission fluid that restricts the hydraulic passages
Defective Output Speed Sensor wiring or connector
He didnt put his end results in the thread. but he found that, id try swapping out the filter and fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was a guy who previously posted, not a week ago, actually describing a fluid sounds in his transmission, Id suggest changing the filter and adding the correct amount of fluid in there. Ill find a link to it, I think he resolved his problem by changing the fluid also.
Sweet, Ill try that, any ideas on the P264 cause? I know what the code means, I just dont know where to look for resolving it.

·
Jmreed81
17 Posts
I agree with Bosnian Discovery, pull the plugs and check condition then proceed with a compression test. I wouldn't drop a dime in the rig till you solidify the condition of the engine. I too bought a non running D2 and dropped $2K in the rebuild. That being said, good luck, all D2s are a labor of love.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with Bosnian Discovery, pull the plugs and check condition then proceed with a compression test. I wouldn't drop a dime in the rig till you solidify the condition of the engine. I too bought a non running D2 and dropped $2K in the rebuild. That being said, good luck, all D2s are a labor of love.
I have done that,the compression is good, the plugs look fine, the issue isn't with heads, I'm replaced the bad fuel pump but I still have no idea why it is telling me that the #2 injector is shorted to ground. It will start and run however there isn't a misfire in cylinder 2 I used my stethoscope and I can hear that cylinder firing. Where do I begin to correct the injector short code? All the other related codes are clear, I just get the 1590 and the 264.

·
Jmreed81
17 Posts
I would chase the wires for the #2 injector, if that checks out try swapping the knock sensors and see if the codes change banks. Not sure but I think the knock sensors play a role in the misfire codes. I know they do on my Chevy. But like all things land rover, this too could be unique. Just spitballing here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.