Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first let me first say hello. I just bought a d2 and literally within 2 miles from deal the front "propeller shaft". (Brit naming a makes me laugh). It tossed the shaft broke the yokes and punched a nice hole in the trans case. Nice way to start out the relationship. :). Anyway I'm a long time jeep guy. I've built numerous wranglers, TJs CJs etc so I'm mechanically inclined. Only thing I've never done was a trans swap. I decided this one was the time to start for some reason. I figured why not. So here is the issue.

I've downloaded the service manual and read it over and over and searched here and elsewhere and am still a bit confused.
I have everything apart but I think there may still be the dreaded top bolts left sinc when I drop the trans jack it doesn't free up.

It is a 2002 disco 2 with the V8.
The manual says to remove the rear mounts which I did but even lowering I all the way to where the jack pressure is off of the trans I still don't see any more bolts. I saw a post for a 99 that mentioned the front motor mounts but am not sure if that applies. Can anyone here help me out. I really want to get this thing one the road. The new trans and parts arrive tomorrow so I'm hoping to get working on the refit soon.

I've met lots of cool guys on the jeep forums and hope the people here are just as helpful. Your help is greatly needed and appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A follow up question I also have is do I need to remove the starter to get the trans out? It mentions it in the manual for the diesel but not for the v8. And can I get the trans out without removing the torque converter bolts? Will that keep it from comin free? Any help is appreciated.

I already removed the rear motor mounts. Do I need to reinstall them and then remove the rubber part of the front one as I have seen mentioned on older ones? Are there bolts that I just cannot see without tilting the motor forward instead of rearward? Another question is will it be much easier I I remove the transfer case first before dropping the whole tranny? Ill probably e replacing both te transmission and transfer box together so I'm just trying to figure out how to beat get this darn transmission out of it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Starter and TC bolts will need to be removed to separate the pair.

Also, there are bolts at the top of the bell housing. You may need to feel for them, or you may want to employ a mirror to see them, but they're there.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will I be able to get to them with just the rear mounts removed? Do I jack it up or lower it down? Access from underside or engine compartment? Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts