Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I had my room mate help me change the wires and plug on my 2001 Discovery II SE. The job was not that bad except for the *removal* of the bottom wires on the coil pack. PITA!

Used (blue) STI 8mm wires and E3(48) plugs. These wires do not give me the confidence that they are properly installed.

Truck now generates these fault codes: P1319, P1884, P0300, P0304.

I'm really thinking I just have a wire or two not seated corrected on the coil pack and/or the spark plug.

I noticed this morning when I re-examined everything that the wire for cylinder 8 was *not* seated correctly. After reinserting it, it seems fine now.

Since the truck is too hot to work on now, I'll wait till this afternoon and redo the wires.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is no help, but I'm having pretty much the same issue. Mine is misfiring really bad and not even driveable. are you having this problem too? my father in law seems to think it is the coil packs

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is no help, but I'm having pretty much the same issue. Mine is misfiring really bad and not even driveable. are you having this problem too? my father in law seems to think it is the coil packs
I don't know. I'm skeptical of that concern. Why would I have a coil pack issue all of a sudden?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know, as am I. And I don't really know if there is a way to test that? Its a whole mess to change those so I'm hoping someone has a little insight to something else it could be. Mine all started with my engine fan falling off and puncturing my water pump. replaced those two and then it started throwing the misfire codes. replaced the plugs/wires and it seemed to have gotten worse. It was all just way too coincidental that it happened at once. I had the p1319 as well and I figured out that is something to do with low fuel.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just spoke to DiscoMike over the phone and he informed me that my sequence of codes stems from a busted spark plug and/or a faulty wire and/or a wire that is not seated corrected on the coil pack.

I'll look under the hood and inspect things later this afternoon.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
You might have connected the wires incorrectly - print a wiring diagram and have it handy to double check the wires.

Furthermore there are like 3 or 4 different plugs around the back of the motor that will fit perfectly onto the coil packs - but obviously do nothing. Double and triple check that you don't have a solenoid plug hooked up to the coil packs - and make sure that the wiring for the two coil packs isn't reversed.

There's nothing wrong with STI wires. I've run them for 2 years flawlessly - as have many other LR owners.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Yes
Sounds like either a cracked /damaged plug or a plug wire not properly connected or bad wire

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
I like my STI wires..haven't heard of too many problems with them, people her talk about kingsbourne are a better value so I might give them a try one day....

I think as above posts double check your work. If the coil pack is out most likely all four plugs should fail to fire. Check grounds. Has anyone identified the codes here. I don't have a book.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Success!!!

I went back under the hood and rechecked all the wires and plugs for proper seating and fit.

Sure enough...cylinder 4 wire was NOT EVEN INSTALLED! Goes to show you that doing a tune up in the dark is the smartest thing to do even if it "felt" like I put it on there right.

SUMMARY: Took it out after (painfully) re-installing the #4 wire. MY DISCO RUNS LIKE A CHAMP! Those STI wires, E3(48) spark plugs, new filter, and new MAF have made a HUGE difference in performance. More low-end power, better pickup, and all the rough idling/vibration/jerkiness/resistance is GONE!

Thanks everyone for your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts