Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Support Our Troops
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just picked up a 97 Discovery SE7 has everything, rear air, heated seats, rear jump seats, rear step, and dual moonroofs.

I really love it, but I have a major problem. While driving tonight I at first had all my lights, then all of a sudden, no dash lights, no fog lights Fornt or rear, No lights on the climate controls, and no tail lights. The brake lights work when I hit the brakes.

I need help fast. I really need my lights and cannot drive without these working. The dealer is closed now and I will be calling tomorrow first thing. In the mean time if any of you know a possible quick fix it would be helpful.

thanks,
John

·
Registered
317 Posts
apbtpetey,
What is the battery voltage? You have a rover, you need a multimeter...
Is the alternator keeping the battery charged?
How many miles on the truck? How old is the battery?
Where are you upstate? I'm about 20 minutes east of Albany...
Bogatyr

·
Support Our Troops
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bogatyr,

I just got the Discovery today. This happened on the ride home.

It has just over 104,000 miles on it

Not sure how old the battery is

I don't have a meter handy right now, but will be getting a new one asap

I live about 45 mins south of Albany near Kingston,NY

The headlights work fine and so do the dome lights, just not the other lights.

Edit: I have pulled and checked the fuses. All looked good. I will go out and try seeing what happens when I have it in the parking light spot

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me one night in Manhattan, it was the light stalk. I took it apart and got it working again 'till I got home. I ended buying a used on on eBay and it's been fine. Try wiggling the switch and see if that's the problem.

BTW, I'm in Rockland County (Tappan). If I can help you with anything just let me know.

Good luck and welcome to the LR family!

John C.

·
Support Our Troops
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
John C said:
I had the same thing happen to me one night in Manhattan, it was the light stalk. I took it apart and got it working again 'till I got home. I ended buying a used on on eBay and it's been fine. Try wiggling the switch and see if that's the problem.

BTW, I'm in Rockland County (Tappan). If I can help you with anything just let me know.

Good luck and welcome to the LR family!

John C.
Thanks for all the help guys. I tried the parking lights, but they didn't come on. The headlights came on when I turn it all the way on. I will now go out and try to wiggle it alittle bit.

Also the radio won't play it comes up code. I have the code or at least I think I do it is written on a card in the owners manual (got lucky the manual came with the Discovery). I tried putting the code in, but all it did was beep at me and nothing else happens.

EDIT: I just tried wiggling the switch, but nothing has changed. Looks like I will be calling the dealer in the morning. This stinks. I want to go out and play with the Discovery, but with no taillights I can't :mad:

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You should do nothing with it and get in touch earlt tomorrow morning and have then fix it, it is not your responsibility and if you go messing around with it too much they won't be held responsible.
It is probably only a headlight switch but let them deal with it, this is a saftey issue and they should do the work.
Mike J.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have a 96 Disco, Same thing happened to me. :mad: I believe it to be a short in the fog lights. :dunno: Turn them off. I kept blowing fuses. It is in the engine bay, passenger side. There is a fuse box there, lift lid, it is the one burned! HAHA. But no laughing manor! I resort to never turning them on. They seem to me to be a whole lot of trouble. Good luck!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
apbtpetey,
Ah good news and hopefully you didn't have to bring the thing to the stealership!

Now, I'd advise you to poke around in the fog lamp circuit to see what the problem is...prolly a short or exposed wire somewhere...

Bogatyr

·
Support Our Troops
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will looking into the cause of the problem this weekend.

I also noticed that there is a button for rear fog lights, But I don't seem to have rear fog lights. Anybody know wher they would have been mounted?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a similar problem in my '95 disco. I'd change the fuse, things would work but as soon as I'd drive a 1/4 mile it would blow and the dash lights etc... would go out. Traced out the wiring with a Haynes mannual and found the wire to the rear bumper lights on the passenger side had chaffed thru on the frame where it came up to the bumper (no protection on that short section of wire from the factory). The bare wire would touch the frame and blow the fuse. Easy repair.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I believe the bottom ones, or the red ones that don't light with the taillamps and brakelamps on.

The rear fogs won't illuminate without the key on and the headlamps on.

I had heard that earlier Discos had the rear-fog in the bumper, but my bumper has tail and turn lights.

·
Registered
523 Posts
John:
I don't remember from what I've read on what year they switched the rear fogs from the bumpers horizontal clusters to the vertical tail light clusters.Anyways try this:
With the engine running turn on the parking lights, look at the back of the truck and see which ones light-up,then hit the switch for the fogs and look at the back of the truck again paying particular atention at the lights in the bumper and the bottom red ones on the vertical tail light clusters by the sides of the rear tail gate.Post the findings.
Carlos

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.