Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get the idea that Land Rover Series vehicles are "supposed to be" noisy but just how noisy? I can live with the noises mine makes EXCEPT when I put it into 4th gear and a horrible whine appears to come from the gearbox. Is this "normal" and is this the noise for which Series LR's are famous? Or have I just got a knackered gearbox? :dunno:

· MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
sunking101 said:
I get the idea that Land Rover Series vehicles are "supposed to be" noisy but just how noisy? I can live with the noises mine makes EXCEPT when I put it into 4th gear and a horrible whine appears to come from the gearbox. Is this "normal" and is this the noise for which Series LR's are famous? Or have I just got a knackered gearbox? :dunno:
Nope- nothing wrong with the Gearbox.i have owned dozens of series and they all have the whining noise.If you think they are loud normaly,try it with an overdrive!!!Supersonicly loud then.Dont worry mate all is well in Landy Land. Welcome to the site and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

· Registered
44 Posts
The whine in fourth gear is an indication that it should be replaced. Mine did this, got it fixed and was significantly bearable. However I am also told, that you can drive with the whine for 100000 kms, without anything happening to it. It just depends what matters most: The irritation from the whine, or the couple of notes you going to have to dish out.
And by the way, any new noise just adds character, along has it doies not make you come to a grinding halt. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.