Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

41 - 60 of 167 Posts

·
Beach Bum
2,093 Posts
Actually it will fit even if they didnt have the 2 cylinders cut off. Before I got in running Mustangs in Quick 10.5 . I had a 87 S-10 blazer with a 355 in it . On the motor it ran in the 10.80's on a drag radials
Good to know, I guess they thought the s-10's didn't need the power of the 350...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Back on topic. Nice conversion. Id be ginger on the trans though..that is a lot of HP for that box. id venture the tbox is fine. Axles well we all now they wont handle it, even Aftermarket rover ones so that will probably be your next need if you wheel it at all. Cool work. Gordo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Axles are my next investment. I'm hoping the tranny will hold up, if not I have a 700r4 to put in, but that is going to be a lot of work.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Would the 700R4 really be a lot of work? I figure the GM trans would be easier. Advance Adapters makes an adapter to go from the 700R4 to the LT230 tcase. That way you're not messing with engine adapter plate or adapting the torque converter.

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
350 in a Disco?:dunno: I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Thats just one step away from owning a Jeep. A Land Rover is a Land rover.NOT a GM product. I understand the desire for more reliability but jesus......thats just slight butchery right there. Sorry. I guess I'm a purest.

·
Registered
205 Posts
^ yeah but were talking about a d1 its a common truck, alot of engine bay, cheap(nowadays), and physically resilient, and best part is mechanically they are just getting old enough now to need an engine rebuild. its perfect for build/project swaps. i say sweet little build you got op, now lets see it run well tuned. with other cars ive been working on forums ect. engine swaps are alot of fun, and common. grant it, series your right alot of guys use the engines from the same manufacture. and when my engine goes ill be on the hunting for a land rover tdi engine ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
350 in a Disco?:dunno: I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Thats just one step away from owning a Jeep. A Land Rover is a Land rover.NOT a GM product. I understand the desire for more reliability but jesus......thats just slight butchery right there. Sorry. I guess I'm a purest.
How dare he pull the Buick bred Land Rover engine out and put in a gm motor. What was he thinking! What is next a ford powered Jag?:eek: Did he want more power and cheap parts? We all know that the British can not build a gas engine that lasts. This is because they can not see with their Lucas wired production facilities. I can not wait to replace my 911 with a Celica powered Elise. I would love to know more on the swap. I would like to go this route this spring, so please more pics and info!!!!

Reactions: cruisertom

·
Registered
205 Posts
You know the Rover V8 IS a GM product, right?

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
How dare he pull the Buick bred Land Rover engine out and put in a gm motor. What was he thinking! What is next a ford powered Jag?:eek: Did he want more power and cheap parts? We all know that the British can not build a gas engine that lasts. This is because they can not see with their Lucas wired production facilities. I can not wait to replace my 911 with a Celica powered Elise. I would love to know more on the swap. I would like to go this route this spring, so please more pics and info!!!!
Lasts??? I've got 698,413 miles on mine. Guess thats bad engineering on my 2.25.? :dunno:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Lasts??? I've got 698,413 miles on mine. Guess thats bad engineering on my 2.25.? :dunno:
I apologize, I should have added the word "powerful reliability". The Briggs and Stratton motor in my 30 year old mower runs great but I would not consider it for a swap into my Land Rover!!! I am only guessing, but I think he may enjoy the extra power of the 350. It seems every time a British Car company wants more power they turn to other countries for engineering. You should put your Yukon motor in your Series.

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
I apologize, I should have added the word "powerful reliability". The Briggs and Stratton motor in my 30 year old mower runs great but I would not consider it for a swap into my Land Rover!!! I am only guessing, but I think he may enjoy the extra power of the 350. It seems every time a British Car company wants more power they turn to other countries for engineering. You should put your Yukon motor in your Series.
I would consider the swap but I am too much a traditionalist to bastardise my rig like that.
There's nothing wrong with being a traditionalist. I say if you want a Land Rover buy one. If you want a GM product buy one. Don't combine the two. It's NOT a Land Rover if it's powered by anything other than a LR motor. If it was made by Land Rover for Land Rover,assembled in the UK and was designed with the LR in mind then it's ok.

By the time you complete the swap and manage to get the wiring looms together and computers to talk and work out the bugs (which will be with the truck for the entirety of it's life) you could have had the LR engine completely custom rebuilt. Whats the point anyway?? Whats the real advantage?

To all the fucktards trying to **** talk asking if I know that GM design has played a part in LR and Rover V8's...**** off. I probobly have more LR knowledge in my stool than you have in your head.Seriously... know what and who your talking **** to before you run your mouth. Don't be an asshole because your opinion varries.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would consider the swap but I am too much a traditionalist to bastardise my rig like that.
There's nothing wrong with being a traditionalist. I say if you want a Land Rover buy one. If you want a GM product buy one. Don't combine the two. It's NOT a Land Rover if it's powered by anything other than a LR motor. If it was made by Land Rover for Land Rover,assembled in the UK and was designed with the LR in mind then it's ok.

By the time you complete the swap and manage to get the wiring looms together and computers to talk and work out the bugs (which will be with the truck for the entirety of it's life) you could have had the LR engine completely custom rebuilt. Whats the point anyway?? Whats the real advantage?

To all the fucktards trying to **** talk asking if I know that GM design has played a part in LR and Rover V8's...**** off. I probobly have more LR knowledge in my stool than you have in your head.Seriously... know what and who your talking **** to before you run your mouth. Don't be an asshole because your opinion varries.
There is nothing wrong with being a purest, but there is something wrong with the snotty attitude and saying that his swap is butchery. A purest is someone who enjoys a make and or model but can also appreciate what people can do to improve such item.
The advantage is to gain more power and reliability. I will wager someone to build me a Land rover motor with more power and reliability than what I can build for 2k with a gm block and that is generous. The hardest part of a swap is engine mounting, trans, cooling, the easiest in "my opinion" is the wiring. The brains do not need to talk to each other, he will end up with a ecu that runs the motor and what remains of the original to run the ancillaries of the vehicle. Most ECUs from most manufacturers only require a positive and a ground and the remaining harness just plugs in. I do Know what I am talking about because I have completed over 30 engine swaps and I have figured out ways to overcome Audi's, VW's, Porsche's, and Ducati's immobilizer and bugs.

I built a 73 914 with a 1.8t VW motor producing 500hp for a customer and I guarantee if you drove or rode in the car it would make you appreciate this owners creativity not call him a hack. I bet he does not hate on traditionalists and can see that improvements are always needed! GM did not believe that their engine would be a great Rover motor down the road when they were designing the Buick engine. Land Rover is known for using other engines that would compliment their vehicles......GM....BMW..... Time to take another look at your stool of knowledge.

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
There is nothing wrong with being a purest, but there is something wrong with the snotty attitude and saying that his swap is butchery. A purest is someone who enjoys a make and or model but can also appreciate what people can do to improve such item.
The advantage is to gain more power and reliability. I will wager someone to build me a Land rover motor with more power and reliability than what I can build for 2k with a gm block and that is generous. The hardest part of a swap is engine mounting, trans, cooling, the easiest in "my opinion" is the wiring. The brains do not need to talk to each other, he will end up with a ecu that runs the motor and what remains of the original to run the ancillaries of the vehicle. Most ECUs from most manufacturers only require a positive and a ground and the remaining harness just plugs in. I do Know what I am talking about because I have completed over 30 engine swaps and I have figured out ways to overcome Audi's, VW's, Porsche's, and Ducati's immobilizer and bugs.

I built a 73 914 with a 1.8t VW motor producing 500hp for a customer and I guarantee if you drove or rode in the car it would make you appreciate this owners creativity not call him a hack. I bet he does not hate on traditionalists and can see that improvements are always needed! GM did not believe that their engine would be a great Rover motor down the road when they were designing the Buick engine. Land Rover is known for using other engines that would compliment their vehicles......GM....BMW..... Time to take another look at your stool of knowledge.
You sound like a guy who knows "everything about everything" so I am not going to get in an endless and pointless pissing match with you.
GM motors were brought in by Rover for the Rover group. Land Rover bought quite a few as it was a cheaper way to get the trucks into and out of production. Bmw engines were installed during BMW's reign. Jaguar engines were used when Ford ran the joint. It had nothing to do with what was best for the marque rather than thats what the current owners at the time wanted to use to lessen over head and cut back on research and development.

I've had the pleasure to travel the globe in Land Rovers and have probobly racked up nearly 600 thousand miles in them. I have the utmost respect for anyone willing to try something different.Hell the idea of function over form that Land Rover embraces is the idea that I myself truly respect. I just dont believe that your going to come up with something better than what LR did. Yes it can have more power ..that's not difficult to achieve. Reliability...thats a matter of opinion and your preventitive maintenance regime.

Of course ...your the guy who wanted to mutilate a Lotus Elise with a Jap motor arn't you? Wow.....that takes some bad inbreedining to ruin a perfectly good car like that. Your the fucking Ted Turner of the automotive community mate....the origional isn't good enough. Alway's someone out there ready to ruin something already perfect. See ya later Frankenstein.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Of course ...your the guy who wanted to mutilate a Lotus Elise with a Jap motor arn't you? Wow.....that takes some bad inbreedining to ruin a perfectly good car like that. Your the fucking Ted Turner of the automotive community mate....the origional isn't good enough. Alway's someone out there ready to ruin something already perfect. See ya later Frankenstein.:rolleyes:
Wow! You are a negative dumbass! Here is a little link to add to your stool of knowledge Lotus Elise Toyota Engine Comments
Was it the British who decided to ditch the rover Motor for a toyota. I am hunting for an Elise and not an Exige because I can build a faster Elise for less money while using a aftermarket turbo kit for it's Celica motor. Simmer down champ!

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
Wow! You are a negative dumbass! Here is a little link to add to your stool of knowledge Lotus Elise Toyota Engine Comments
Was it the British who decided to ditch the rover Motor for a toyota. I am hunting for an Elise and not an Exige because I can build a faster Elise for less money while using a aftermarket turbo kit for it's Celica motor. Simmer down champ!
O.k Sporto.

I'm simmered bro. It still has nothing to do with who decided to do it. Who cares if the British thought of the idea. I still will alway's disagree with buthchering a marque. I can appreciate the idea and engineering prowess it takes to do these projects. Again...if ya want a yota go buy one. I'm sorry we disagree here on these points dude. I'm a purest in my thought and your not. Thats not the be all and end all of man... build what you want. I'll take my stool and my opinion away from the thread.

·
Registered
103 Posts
:drink1: on different opinions. No offense. Now lets see some more pics and info!

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
How's this coming along?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I would love to hear more and get an update on the swap, My motor is on its last leg.

Series 3 Guy = pompous asshat:moon:

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
I would love to hear more and get an update on the swap, My motor is on its last leg.

Series 3 Guy = pompous asshat:moon:

Disco...dude what???? I am a Land Rover purest and because I think that puting anything other than a Solihull product in a Landy is wrong makes me not only pompous and an asshat?? Whatever.

I am a Land Rover nut like the rest on here but what makes this forum cool is that you can have a strong opinion and agree to disagree like we have already done. What come in with the retarded name calling?

I still believe that if you chose to take another motor other than the Land Rover ones available on the market and install them, then you should upon immediate completion of said truck, pull the Land Rover badges and emblems off too as it's no Longer a Land Rover.

If you had to have open heart Surgery and the doc said you needed a new heart....would you be happy with the monkey heart he was going to toss into you or would you want a human one like before? I know my answer.

41 - 60 of 167 Posts