Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

141 - 160 of 167 Posts

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
Give me an example of me "beating" anyone down. Calling the origional post nothing short of frankensteinism is accurate. As a LR purest thats how I see it...thats been covered already..right?? I'm not bragging. As soon as someone begins to talk **** about "Ignorance" or "stupidity" because the opinion they have is different than others on this forum I feel like they need to know that they arn't talking to some scmuck with no experience. Am I proud of the fact I've been in LR mags and LR advertising in the past...hell yeah,of course I am. I am not the be all and end all of Land Rover knowledge by any means but I do know my **** and will call you on it when necessary. Deal with it. **** man you think i'm rough, go play over at D-web...your ass would have been charcoal when you started emailing the forum mods and complaining about others who "You" thought didn't belong on here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Any news on how the bugs are being worked out with the install?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Updates? Progress? Bueller anyone

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would love to know how the swap is going so far since I am just now starting on the process myself just finished getting the land rover motor out of mine this evening.

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
I suspect there was nothing that went well with the swap as it not is only ambitious...but bold. There are far far too many snags in doing a completely incompatable swap like this. Yes the motor will fit...but getting it to communicate is damn near impossible. The tranny and the engine are on 2 technicaly different wave lengths and will not communicate. I dread to think how much this swap will cost in the end. Could have kept the factory motor and built the **** out of it to get the same effect with none of the massive computer issues. In the attempt to create a hastle free and reliable truck with a foreign motor he has created completely the oposite. I recon with about another 3k he might just get it right................there is nothing you cant ACCOMPLISH with a stock Rover v8 that you can with a new GM powerplant. Just build to your requirement and do it well and you can avoid the problems I'm sure this guy is having. If he didn't have aboslutely insane problems he would have posted the success story on here rather than let the trail go cold.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I suspect there was nothing that went well with the swap as it not is only ambitious...but bold. There are far far too many snags in doing a completely incompatable swap like this. Yes the motor will fit...but getting it to communicate is damn near impossible. The tranny and the engine are on 2 technicaly different wave lengths and will not communicate. I dread to think how much this swap will cost in the end. Could have kept the factory motor and built the **** out of it to get the same effect with none of the massive computer issues. In the attempt to create a hastle free and reliable truck with a foreign motor he has created completely the oposite. I recon with about another 3k he might just get it right................there is nothing you cant ACCOMPLISH with a stock Rover v8 that you can with a new GM powerplant. Just build to your requirement and do it well and you can avoid the problems I'm sure this guy is having. If he didn't have aboslutely insane problems he would have posted the success story on here rather than let the trail go cold.
Putting a Chevy 350 is something that has been done to RRCs for years, so having it done to a Discovery 1 really isn't all that difficult if you get all the correct parts

Rover Chev Conversion

·
Registered
232 Posts
series3guy you should just leave, you screwed a potentially good read into a huge deushfest. Go start your own thread about why people should leave their rovers pure, otherwise PISS OFF.

·
Registered
3 Posts
series3guy you should just leave, you screwed a potentially good read into a huge deushfest. Go start your own thread about why people should leave their rovers pure, otherwise PISS OFF.
Though it was amusing to see how passionate these guys are, I couldn't agree more.

I grew up with a Father who installed a 350 Chevy in a Series 88" SWB and we absolutely loved it. We went everywhere in that rig and I have very fond memories of it. I like Land Rover's and I like the Rover V8, my brother even put one in our family ski boat to replace the crappy heavy GM 4 cylinder it came with and it made the boat infinitely more usable and reliable. I have personally built and swapped engines in and out of cars as a hobby my entire life and I find it rewarding. There are always hurdles to overcome but with a little perseverance, the right tools and some skill it is always possible.

I have had 3 DII's all with the 4.6 "Bosch" Engine and I don't find them to be a very good powerplant for that vehicle. They have head gasket, cylinder liner and oil pump issues that are inexcusable. These engines are not well matched to the transmission, even in sport mode the transmission shifts too early when climbing a hill leaving the engine out of it's power band and unable to pull without once again shifting down - and the problem repeats its self over and over until the hill is crested. I need to leave it in 3rd just to drive around town because the transmission is not "smart" enough to deal with everyday city streets. I personally think the reason their resale has plummeted to sub $10,000 in less than 5 years is because of the crappy out of date engine that just isn't as powerful or reliable as the competition. I live at 3500 feet above sea level so I can't even imagine how bad this slug would be in a place like Denver. I am looking at swapping in a Chevy LS engine because I like the capabilities of my truck, I like the interior - it is the toughest interior I have ever experienced and comfortable too. I want to be able to tow a 3500lb trailer without working the engine so hard. I want to get rid of the mysterious rattles and knocks that all my 4.6's have had and the constant changing of the right side pre-cat O2 sensor.

I know there will be issues with the swap - gauges, transmission communication/integration, power steering pump - just to name a few, but that is why I am on here, to hopefully find out what the pitfalls are before I get started. I think the reason the OP has not updated this post is not because it is an impossible job but because there is so much bitching going on here. You guys should get out from in front of your computers and work on your LR's, or better yet go for a drive on a mountain trail.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you had to have open heart Surgery and the doc said you needed a new heart....would you be happy with the monkey heart he was going to toss into you or would you want a human one like before? I know my answer.
Does that mean that you are of the idea that people that receive a heart transplant shoud destroy their ID's, passports, etc, and get a new identity? since they would not be the same person?

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I'm also waiting to see the results of this swap.

Talk's cheap and there's a lot of it here.

Let's see some pics!

I'm doing a 300 into a RRC. I'm amazed at all of the little things I'm finding that need to be resolved that have NOTHING to do with the engine swap. I'm rebuilding the ABS and replacing the heater blower motor-not exactly engine swap related, but part of the project!

BTW-an RRC or DI would probably be the easiest coilers to do this with as the transmission is purely mechanical with no comms with the engine ECU. The ZF transmission will handle plenty of power-everybody wants to bash them, but they are pretty robust.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The guy hasn't been logged into the board since early October. I'm guessing things went horribly wrong with the transplant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
.......there is nothing you cant ACCOMPLISH with a stock Rover v8 that you can with a new GM powerplant.
That is VERY funny.:lol:

I have just priced out what is necessary to get my late model Mems "Bosch" 4.6 upgraded to around 300 BHP and it is not cheap, not to mention still a long way off of the stock power output of a late model GM LSx engine. If I do all of the labor and build the lump myself it will end up costing more than $6,000. For the LSx I can get all the mounts and conversion parts including a 400 HP lump with engine management and transmission and conversion pieces to use the original transfer case for about the same price. It's a toss up, either way it will be a lot of work with even more work to make the dash and console look right. The LSx is a far superior engine that makes way more power and burns less fuel and has fully mappable engine and transmission software. On top of all this I am not a GM fan but there is no denying that they have an amazing engine that is still going strong and Rover has a very tired old orphaned engine that has had it's day.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
That is VERY funny.:lol:

I have just priced out what is necessary to get my late model Mems "Bosch" 4.6 upgraded to around 300 BHP and it is not cheap, not to mention still a long way off of the stock power output of a late model GM LSx engine. If I do all of the labor and build the lump myself it will end up costing more than $6,000. For the LSx I can get all the mounts and conversion parts including a 400 HP lump with engine management and transmission and conversion pieces to use the original transfer case for about the same price. It's a toss up, either way it will be a lot of work with even more work to make the dash and console look right. The LSx is a far superior engine that makes way more power and burns less fuel and has fully mappable engine and transmission software. On top of all this I am not a GM fan but there is no denying that they have an amazing engine that is still going strong and Rover has a very tired old orphaned engine that has had it's day.
If you had the same ability to control fuel mapping with the Rover, couldn't you get close to the same power as the Chevy engine?

What's so special about one GM engine based upon a 1956 design versus another based upon a 1960 GM design? And, why can't the same, or similar changes be made to the other GM engine?

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
My 3.9 runs, my truck moves and has yet to not get where I was heading due to lack of horsepower. Has not left me stranded and has been completely predictable.

No cost of conversion = happy Rover owner.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
A small block Chevy V8 engine swap must be the most boring, un-original and over rated swaps ever (after the 6.2L and 6.5L GM diesels of course). Wow a SBC engine swap.......is there anything you can't put a SBC into?

who cares about HP? The Rover V8 best points are good torque numbers and, due to its aluminium construction, light weight. I agree with ArmyRover, don't fix what ain't broke.

My 2c.

Reactions: BryanJoslin

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
who cares about HP? The Rover V8 best points are good torque numbers and, due to its aluminium construction, light weight. I agree with ArmyRover, don't fix what ain't broke.

My 2c.
They are flat-out elegant engines! The Brits took the red-headed step child of the SBC and made it work better than the Yanks could.

It's light, robust if taken care of at all, produces modest amounts of power and can last forever!

I don't find the parts to be all that expensive once I learned how to shop for them and got a coupla parts trucks:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
It really is an attractive swap. I can't stand the fact that my RRC won't run well whenever we get heavy rain. We got a bit of rain on Sat. due to Danny, and I drove my truck on Sun. and it ran like sh*t. It does that every time it rains hard.
That's unacceptable.

141 - 160 of 167 Posts