Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Just installed a Chevy 350 in my Discovery!!

153K views 166 replies 44 participants last post by  reverendALC 
#1 ·
My project Disco just recieved a Tuned Port Chevy 350 Sunday. I should have it finished up and running in the next couple of weeks.:drive:

#59 ·
I would love to hear more and get an update on the swap, My motor is on its last leg.

Series 3 Guy = pompous asshat:moon:

#60 ·
Disco...dude what???? I am a Land Rover purest and because I think that puting anything other than a Solihull product in a Landy is wrong makes me not only pompous and an asshat?? Whatever.

I am a Land Rover nut like the rest on here but what makes this forum cool is that you can have a strong opinion and agree to disagree like we have already done. What come in with the retarded name calling?

I still believe that if you chose to take another motor other than the Land Rover ones available on the market and install them, then you should upon immediate completion of said truck, pull the Land Rover badges and emblems off too as it's no Longer a Land Rover.

If you had to have open heart Surgery and the doc said you needed a new heart....would you be happy with the monkey heart he was going to toss into you or would you want a human one like before? I know my answer.

#67 ·
Thank's Brother. WTF is with folks that have to follow the herd and jump on the "know it all" Banwagon??

I have my opinion because thats what I believe ..it doesn't make it right ,it doesn't make it wrong. I guess people now can't handle strong minded people. My opinions are based on my own experience not listening to others opinions and later regergitating it back out trying to make it sound like it's mine.

Anyway..cheers brother.

Maybe the guy had a hard night on on the strip giving handjobs to dudes for perscription pills and small change? **** man....who knows...who cares.

#69 ·
LOL... So true. Now hank is opinionated. But his opinions are knowledge based rather than emotional ****. We dont usualy see eye to eye ...but if I had a question about something I would listen to him or disco mike before any of the wanna be offroading mall cruising fucktards out there on forums.

#71 ·
putting a better, more powerful engine into any truck or car is wonderful. it's more efficient and a hell of a lot more fun to make something fit than just replacing it with stock. projects that make you think are incredibly fun. i don't get "purists". if you're up to the challenge, then do it. if you're not, then you're the pussy.

#73 ·
You dont "Get" purests??? And I'm the retard? Seems to me half the people on here arn't enthusiasts,rather ones that enjoy taking their Land Rovers out like any other 4x4.It does'nt matter if it's an f150 or a p38...you would still go out a trash it up. I beleive in the Land Rover Marque and the mission tehy are on to build the finest 4x4 out there. If it isn't a land rover....I aint interested. Go build up some 4x4 abortion and post the pic's up if you have any talent at all bro.

BTW....where's the pic's of this project eh'? Maybe some communication and fabrication nightmares? Not that I'm wishing this chap bad luck....just wondering if it's turning out as easy as some of the know it alls on here was saying it was.

#83 ·
I called you an asshat because I don't give a **** if you invented the first Land Rover, when you PUSH your opinions on everyone else then you are just like the Bible thumpers that push their religion on people, or politics or whatever. Everyone has an opinion voice it and then keep it too yourself. If I had your rig I wouldn't drop a 350 in it same as I haven't in my 64 Austin Healy BJ8. But, we are talking about a Disco which had an underpowered POS american shitbox motor to begin with mass produced by the millions, which mean you "The Purest" should look down at them from your ivory tower to begin with. Yeah I love my disco, but its not anything special, I would much rather have a D90 or really rather have a Benz G Wagen which is what I will be switching to fairly shortly, because the Germans can actually build something of quality that doesn't piss out all the fluids and has electronics that work, and far better off road capability.

The other reason I called you as asshat is because of your Lotus Elise vs toyota comment. I mechanically and cosmetically restored exotics for 6 years before I opened a performance automotive shop, you might know more about Landys but I can assure you when it comes to Lotus you don't have a chance. They have nearly always outsourced their power trains. The celica motor is dependable and a decent motor. I'm in the process of swapping that lump for a Honda K24 (Acura TSX motor) with is a infinitely better on every plane. Lighter, more powerful, more reliable, more potential. I am taking the Lotus Chassis and body which is a masterpiece of mechanical grip and pure driving experience and making it better. Lotus powertrains are garbage for the most part, they have no endearing qualities. So when you make a comment about a motor choice that LOTUS made to BETTER their cars and give them some reliable power, you look like an asshat. I'm just saying, opinions are like assholes everyone has one, just don't get pissed, when someone tells you it stinks if you are shoving it in peoples faces.

#84 ·
You had a week or so to get back to the thread and all you came up with was the SAME old ****?

Are you honestly saying that the posts that you make arn't more preachy than mine? LIke I said before...thats YOUR opinion and your entitled to have it.I do not agree with your Frankensteinism of your cars.You do what you want. I don't care. This is a Land Rover forum and this forum like many others out there have people like myself that that have very strong opinions about what makes a Land Rover a Land Rover. Mine is that the moment you make the time to replace the main component of the Landy and replace it with something other than what was intended (non Land Rover make).........IT IS NO LONGER A LAND ROVER. You should pull all the badges and Land Rover Logo's too as it is NO LONGER A LAND ROVER. You then are a poser. Someone that can't manage to deal with a Land Rover because they don't have the passion to keep them going. Clearly you are a poser. You bought the Defender thinking iit was a luxury truck because of the name Land Rover.Your put off by leaks? Did you do any research on your truck before you paid more than what it's worth?Clearly not. You want to be taken seriously on here because of your vast manly knowledge of all thing automotive but your can't handle ownng a D-90 because of a few oil leaks and misc land rover quirks.You couldn't take the next step to investigate as to whether the truck was right for you before purchase,so because of a few minor issues you automaticlay **** talk the marque and go running off to saddle up to a Mall cruiser of a rig by getting a g-wagon. Dude...your right.It is very capible...just like a Range Rover.You are realy going to use it off road ? Realy? Somehow I doubt it. Your better suited to a Mercedes Benz forum anyway mate.You will like it there as they are all as bland and as KNow it all as you. They follow the crowd and every trend.MAybe we'll spot you cruising at the local mall with your european man purse with your little dog in it.If you want reliable go buy a Toyota. You want horse power buy a GM powerplant.

You know this is a forum right? So if you don't like a particular thread you can always just not read it if offends you. I'm not shoving anything in your face...you chose to read it. Don't be such a pussy and be responsible for what you read and be a man if you don't like it. It's a free country Obama so sit down , have a nice glass of warm milk and shut the **** up.:moon:

#90 ·
you're really fucking annoying man. you and your little girlfriend discogirl. i'm sure she's a **** anyways.at least series 3 has something real to say. your little 3rd grade responses are just padding your post count, but i guess that's the point anyways.

Clearly you have no concept of what off roading is about...at all. The Disco was designed to to have the engine it did for a reason. How fast do you drive off road anyway?? Faster than 20 mph...30? I doubt it. Why is it better anyway? Can you explain why?
i'm not sure about you, or this guy, but my discovery is my daily driver. i have the 4.6, so power isn't too much of an issue, but at highway speeds, due to the 33s i have, the engine lacks a little bit passing. it's not all about offroad. plenty of people drive even their "trail-only" rigs to the trail. you can never have too much power. (although you should never substitute power for proper gearing). and offroad i rarely get over 15mph, since switchbacks get rather scary if you go much faster and don't know what's around the bend...

Projects like this??Dude you need to do some research on my past here on LRO. You will see several of my projects that have been in LRO,LRE and Land Rover monthly. Projects that have been very difficult to accomplish. You don't know because I don't brag up a **** storm about all of what I have done.Nor do I realy care to.
well let's see them. i'm always interested in seeing something difficult accomplished in the garage. that's why i enjoy seeing things like this. if it's an improvement, i don't care who made it. parts should be easier and more readily available to him now if something happens in the middle of no where or some small mountain town with only a napa...

#100 ·
Series Time really must fly when you are gay, might want to check the time date stamps on my posts, in fact it took you several days to do nothing but make incorrect assumptions about things that you know nothing about, and restate your opinion. I think everyone gets the whole "if its not got the heart of a landy it isn't a landy anymore deal", you can sit down your voice has been heard and noted. I didn't overpay for my Disco in fact the only reason I still own it is I got such a great deal on it and I enjoy the truck. What I don't enjoy is it waterproofing my driveway, its horrible gas mileage and snails pace on the roads. I don't think the disco or a D90 anywhere close to a luxury car (you are confusing yourself, read slower) I didn't say I couldn't deal with it. I'm saying I don't have to, the Mercedes Benz is far better, and yes I will wheel the G Wagen. No I won't tear it up, or do expeditions and round the world travels, but guess what I wasn't going to do that in a disco either. If I wanted a serious offroad expedition machine I would build a Unimog. Last time I checked Range Rovers didn't have factory lockers front center and rear. Last time I checked the Disco was the last solid axle capable Rover we can get in the states. SO comparing the capabilities of a G500 and a new Range Rover isn't even close. You might see me at the mall, you might see me offroad, if you do I hope you come introduce yourself. I don't carry man purse (another incorrect assumption, trend?) and there might be a bitch in the car, but she will be of the 2 legged variety. I actually am a dog person, I have a Boxer and Great Dane, so you are half right there. Yes if I wanted a nice tuperware car that would run forever I would go buy a Toyota, If I want a powerful power plant I won't look at GM. If you knew anything about engine design you would understand that when it comes down to BHP per Litre american engines suck. While the LS"*"is a great motor that is an excellent value and work horse. I find it grossly under powered for its large displacement. Luckily with some heads and a cam and a good intake 450-500 reliable whp is easily had, but unneeded in a disco so box stock and run forever works. I'm glad Rover has a guy like you assuring the history of what Real Land Rovers are stays alive. The D90 as far as I'm concerned was the last real Rover and not that V8 POS powered one we got I would love a diesel. I haven't preached at all, In fact I've only indirectly stated my opinion, more so I was responding to explain why I called you an asshat.

#101 ·
I'm sorry....were you saying something? All I heard was blah,blah,blah. ***? Lol. That's not fair!! I bang your old man in the shower once and I get labled a ***. That's not fair..........:bawling:

Let me get this straight though...it's ok for you to have an opinion but no one else? Seriously man....All this started from me stating mine and you and some others got bent out of shape because I am strong in my convictions on what makes a land rover. Go buy your G-Wagon and piss off already.

#104 ·
Just been catching up on the forum 'Battle Royale' and some things have been said that just plain wrong, and I'm not on about the name calling (though some of it is pretty funny). Its the Rover/British car bashing that has prompted my response.

First, Discopilot's opinion is henceforth null and void due to his preference to a Merc. This is a Land Rover forum, full of folks that like Land Rovers. If you would really rather have a Merc G spot then why don't you buy one?. Fool!

To Michaels and anyone else that thinks the Land Rover is not a good platform for off road use and would prefer a Toyota or whatever. What total crap! Even Toyota lovers that wheel hard will admit they end up re-engineering everything because it breaks. Perhaps you should look into what Land Rover owners are doing with their trucks in other parts of the world, you know, the parts that aren't America. Just google "winch challenge" and prepare to have your eyes opened. Not the best platform so I'm building a Toyota, what total bollocks!

And a few factoids about the way vehicles are built and the Rover V8 engine.

Vehicle manufactures assemble 'their' vehicles from many different suppliers. The biggest manufactures have been able to buy some of the supplying companies but a large percentage of any vehicle is still made of parts/components that are 'outsourced' from many different places. Add to that the growing trend in the auto industry to co-develop a major component like a engine or gear box or even an entire vehicle with other competing manufactures and it is a wonder that a small manufacturer like Land Rover has been able to develop so many innovative components and vehicles in-house.

The Rover V8 can trace its ancestry to the Buick 215 V8, everyone knows this. But what is not so well known is that Rover engineers actually extensively re-engineered the unit for use in the Rover division cars and further still for its use in the revolutionary Range Rover. The Rover V8 is a very successful race engine and off road vehicle engine and can be tuned to produce in excess of 600 hp and if properly maintained is a very reliable engine.

To the guy that wants a GM small block in his disco, its your truck mate, do what you like(and post some pictures please, and if you could also give your impressions of the engine swap that would be great).
To the purest, same thing, its your truck.....etc.

Please continue.

P.S. I especially liked the Alabama joke, very funny

#105 ·
To Michaels and anyone else that thinks the Land Rover is not a good platform for off road use and would prefer a Toyota or whatever. What total crap! Even Toyota lovers that wheel hard will admit they end up re-engineering everything because it breaks. Perhaps you should look into what Land Rover owners are doing with their trucks in other parts of the world, you know, the parts that aren't America. Just google "winch challenge" and prepare to have your eyes opened. Not the best platform so I'm building a Toyota, what total bollocks!
i did not say they are better, but there are advantages. point being, my disco is a mildly built daily driver. i take it on a lot of trails like beasely knob, caney fork, etc etc along the blue ridge mountains quite often. i love my truck and offroading it, but there is a good bit of damage i just don't want to put the truck through while i'm a student. that's why i'm goign to build a toyota:

cheap, reliable, cheaper aftermarket parts ($300 lockers for instance without having to upgrade shafts), can handle 35" tires stock, and i won't have to worry about body damage.

it's not a "which is better" arguement, but it's what can i do for what i can afford on a student budget(part time job)? for the harder and harder trails i've been leaning towards, not having to worry about driving my truck to school the next day when i blow out a diff or snap an axle is just plain peice of mind when your 2-7 hours away from home, depending on which trail i'm going to.

i don't want to hear "if you can't afford it...blah blah blah" because i can afford it since i do the work myself and have spare parts. i just want something that's rarely going to break on 35s without having to worry about it. some of you may not be into rockcrawling, but i think it's fun as ****, so i want a truck built specifically for that and not have to compromise my daily driver. it's simple really.

and yes, i'm well aware of what rover owners are doing in other parts of the world. it all comes down to how i use the rover and how i will use the toyota. my disco is my DD, camping truck, and mild trail rig. the yota will be a dedicated budget trail truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.