Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just ordered up a set of new tires. UPDATE

The original GoodYear Wrangler HP's have got to be one of the worst tires ever created. I had a difficult time finding a new set that had a decent tread for when I take the Disco off road. I ended up ordering a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers (255.55.18) from Discount Tire for $653.00 installed. I thought it was a great price for what they are. Anyone have any comments on these or used them on their application?

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Man!

Okay, I took the leap of faith and had the new shoes installed on my Disco. WOW is all I have to say. Night and Day difference between the OEM GoodYear Wrangler HP 255.55.18's and the Nitto Terra Grappler 255.50.18's. I am SO impressed and I have only put on 50 miles.

The road noise was cut, at a minimum, of 70%, 70%!!! They do not wonder like the HP's did and so far, they seem to handle the curves better. Although, we'll have to see how they act after they have been scrubbed a bit and broken in.

Needless to say, I am impressed and that is not an easy thing to do for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I Wish I had only known about this a month ago! I just put another set of HP's on my Discovery. I really have no complaints--well they are noisy, hard ride...at least they have a great width.
After your post I checked out your tires (tyres, for you Euro's) they seem better. I will monitor your satisfaction and get set on my Discovery if I plan on keeping it. The Hp's seem to be wearing really fast.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I thought the opposite of my HP's, the thread seemed to last forever (except for that nasty cupping on all four) That is why it took me so long to get a new set! I had 43K on them and they still had a generous amount of tread left.

I just put another 120 miles on them, flawless. Even at high rates of speed, these are more stable, more sure footed and SO much quieter, it's unbelievable. Smooth as silk at 115MPH. (not that I condone this type of speed but the highways were light on traffic and I wanted to get a good feel for the new shoes).

I am going to find a little "mud, dirt, and snow" tomorrow to see how the tread handles it. Hopefully it will shed the elements instead of filling up the lugs.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yesterday I was doing around 115 too at I-75,( I usually don't drive at such speeds, but was giving the monthy italian tune-up, besides there was very small amount of traffic).I'm running Goodyear Forteras on front and Goodyear Eagle LS at the back. Little to no noise at all.
Carlos

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.