Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uhg..so last year i took my rover on a crazy off road adventure..i posted pics before in the off roading section..where i had to have it towed b/c so much mud was IN the engine it froze basically..well i cleaned it all off for the most part..or of what i thought i did...i have gotten the chance this year to see how mud can effect a car...rust..holes...ect....

i had to replace my radiator..my water pump (which my coolant was full of mud!!) my alternator...tons of electrical parts...full exhaust system...my ex. manifolds cracked...so much mud was in my transfer case that it cause other things to get ruined and i NOW have a new transfer case and transmission because of the effects..(the linkage snapped) my front drive shaft SHEARED off at 90mph on the free way..my fuel pump..fuel filter...fuel pump relay...many so many things..complete new brakes and rotors...and calipers...but i think i've finally gotten all the tid bits fixed...

main lesson guys..if you take your car into some crazy mud...make sure you FULLY clean it off...dont let any of it hang out or it will come back to haunt you...

2,687 Posts
ugh that sucks, sorry to hear it... yeah, i agree. mud sucks! I spend almost 2-3 hours after everytime i go out, powerwashing the mud.. I got my radiator clogged up pretty bad a few weeks ago... cleaned that all out though..

unfortunately this weekend I'm starting to hear a squeel which i think may be water pump starting to go.. not sure if thats related or not.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Sorry to hear your adventure turned sour. The real danger in getting your radiator blocked with mud is overheating. I don't like playing in mud or water, but I will negotiate these if necessary. If one needs to play in either, always fit a blind. A blind may not look real cool, especially when others expect to see sheets of water/mud spraying skyward, but they are not the ones who have to pay for the repair bills.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah what exactly is a blind? never heard of one....

well maybe its what my next question is about...do they make like engine shields? like undercovers so that mud doesnt go all in the engine bay?

i was really naive and stupid when i went out mudding...

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rmuller said:
unfortunately this weekend I'm starting to hear a squeel which i think may be water pump starting to go.. not sure if thats related or not.

what they thought was my water pump "squeeling" was really my transfer case dieing =c)

2,687 Posts
Toddicus said:
what they thought was my water pump "squeeling" was really my transfer case dieing =c)
Well its a good thing I have a spare one of those in the garage! Actually I just noticed today that it doesn't happen when the AC is off.. so maybe the AC compressor needs to be cleaned out.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rmuller said:
Well its a good thing I have a spare one of those in the garage! Actually I just noticed today that it doesn't happen when the AC is off.. so maybe the AC compressor needs to be cleaned out.
haha lucky you, it was 3500 installed for one of those bastards..yeah if AC is on..its either the compressor for the belt may just need to be tighten...lucky you once again =c)

· Registered
1,744 Posts
SCLS has got the idea. Sorry guys. I should have been more specific. A 'blind' is loose terminology for a plastic or canvas sheet that you wrap over the front of the vehicle to stop water ingress into the engine bay when wading.

2,687 Posts
Toddicus said:
haha lucky you, it was 3500 installed for one of those bastards..yeah if AC is on..its either the compressor for the belt may just need to be tighten...lucky you once again =c)
$350 for a 2000 t-case with 550 miles on it!

· Series Moderator
506 Posts
Toddicus said:
Uhg..so last year i took my rover on a crazy off road adventure..i posted pics before in the off roading section..where i had to have it towed b/c so much mud was IN the engine it froze basically..well i cleaned it all off for the most part..or of what i thought i did...i have gotten the chance this year to see how mud can effect a car...rust..holes...ect....

i had to replace my radiator..my water pump (which my coolant was full of mud!!) my alternator...tons of electrical parts...full exhaust system...my ex. manifolds cracked...so much mud was in my transfer case that it cause other things to get ruined and i NOW have a new transfer case and transmission because of the effects..(the linkage snapped) my front drive shaft SHEARED off at 90mph on the free way..my fuel pump..fuel filter...fuel pump relay...many so many things..complete new brakes and rotors...and calipers...but i think i've finally gotten all the tid bits fixed...

main lesson guys..if you take your car into some crazy mud...make sure you FULLY clean it off...dont let any of it hang out or it will come back to haunt you...
Who diagnosed you problems ive hammered my D1 through mud water and allsorts of nasty stuff and never encountered anything like your troubles.
Nor have I heard of anyone else how the hell does mud enter the transfer box or the cooling system sounds a little bizarre to me.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well plenty of people diagnosed my problems, but which exact problem? i've had tons...but RoverLand USA did most the work if it wasnt done by me personally(alternator, MAS, water pump, exhaust mani's, fuel pump, exhaust) the car wouldnt even start =c) and when i say mud..i'm talking thick swamp/dirt..everything else got stuck in it...my fuel pump area was destroyed cause it drowned in mud.. obviously you havent taken your D1 through that "nasty" of any stuff if you havent gotten mud in your transfer case, its actually a typical problem and people's transfer cases get stuck(which was the start of my problems also) as for the mud in the coolant, there is a breather thats supposed to leak water when the water pump is going bad...if enough mud is there, it will start sucking up the mud..which is what happened, my coolant wasnt neon, it was pure brown...

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

· Series Moderator
506 Posts
oh well

Well in 14 years of landy ownership its a new one on me,Ive seen landys it alsorts of predicatments but never heard of the problems youve encountered re mud Ive seen CCVT (cross country vehicle Trial) machines get in the same state as yours week after week but still never seen or heard of it before I am intrigued to see if I will ever hear of it again.
ONz

· Registered
1,744 Posts
The major part of Toddicus problem seems to have occurred on his way home. With the radiator blocked/caged with mud, overheating would have caused the manifold to crack, and, if it didn't crack the heads, most certainly would have warped them. Mud/water in his transfer box, bell housing etc is usually the result of having no breathers fitted. I also suspect, reading his post that at some stage whilst 'swimming', he has stalled in the middle of 'it', which allows water/mud ingress in all sorts of places. To get the truck covered with that much mud would have required wallowing in the swamp for quite some time. A stock Discovery, or any other 4x4 for that matter is not designed for that. Dedicated off-road racers on the other hand, are set up for this sort of thing, and also sport snorkels.

· Registered
21 Posts
How's the rover now...

Toddicus,

So, all in all, how is the rover now and how long did they work on it for? Where did you bring it for this extensive work? did they prove themselves, as for showing there true skills and knowledge of what the mechanics can really do?

LRXD

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LRXD said:
Toddicus,

So, all in all, how is the rover now and how long did they work on it for? Where did you bring it for this extensive work? did they prove themselves, as for showing there true skills and knowledge of what the mechanics can really do?

LRXD
I Believe i finally have all the kinks worked out, besides for my tranny..but thats prob normal wear and tear cause it wont downshift sometimes when needed(going up hills) RoverLand USA here in the bay area did all the work, they've had it on and off for the past year, but they are insanely fast with all the work they've done, and i've been 110% Happy with them and the money i've spent.

· Registered
5,468 Posts
Toddicus...those Roverland guys...I have video of them on our last Blue lakes trip with their red Disco. All I'm going to say is this....if you are going to plaster the name of your Rover business on the side of your truck when wheeling with some, for lack of better words, hardcore rover guys, you had better know how to actually drive your truck! I must admit that the suspension setup on their rover was pretty cool and they seemed like cool guys...but damn man, you had better know how to drive the thing! I have been trying to access their web site for a while but it always seems to be down for construction.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.