Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today as a break from doing revision (well, they say that you should spend half an hour between sessions doing something you enjoy- off-roading springs to mind!) I tried out a newly discovered greenlane, and the results are here:

The top of the lane- the 'Not Suitable For Motor Vehicles Sign' doesn't apply if you have a Land Rover :D. It starts off as a gravel track, then quickly plunges downhill on bare chalk with some nasty axle-twisters...

Such as this one- I think you just about make out the angles of the right-hand wheels. From the front it looks better- not bad for all-standard suspension.

Like all the lanes around me, this one was mainly chalk. Parts of it had lots of small chunks of flint and rock lying around, which is nice and slippery and bouncy to drive on.

The soil turned to mud-on-chalk, which was very,very slippery. Even in 4WD and at little more than walking pace, the back end kept trying to slide about.

Greenlanes often end suddenly, as was the case here- I turned a corner and BAM- I'm in the middle of a village.

One of the other greenlanes has a big soil-covered rock at the beggining, which is always good for testing suspension components-

Not a bad way to spend 45-minutes on a summer's day (beats 19th Century Parliamentary Reform Revision anyway!)

Jack

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, this is the South Downs, but not the South Downs Way. I live on the southern edge of the Downs, in the Meon Valley (between Southampton and Portsmouth). The area is crawling with short greenlanes (a few miles or so). Like that one, most are pretty tame but have the odd short stretch where you really need to use the Land Rover to the full (a deep mud bath at the bottom of a valley, a chalky slope etc.)

The Land Rover's bodywork does not get looked after, as shown by the green bonnet (must respray that some time!) It's ex-Forestry Commission so it's got loads of dents, scrapes dings and poorly repaired bashes, which I don't mind as it adds the character.

'Battered but Reliable' is the look I'm after! :) It's full of the small flaws that only Land Rover people would put up with- for example, if you close the driver's door with the window open, the sliding part of the window falls out. Of the 4 seats in the back, 2 are held up with bungee cord. :clap:

Jack

· MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
Sounds like a good old friend to me. That chalk can be tricky.Got stuck in Alfriston quite badly and damaged my prop shaft.spent several hours rolling around in the chalk and oil.Real pleasant! Nice Landy. :clap:

· Premium Member
1,301 Posts
I hate to nit pik, but something is seriously wrong with your steering wheel.
funny huh? nice pics, good lunch time mind clearing exercise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.