Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
actually we had little problems with the Range Rover in 05. The 03 and 04 werent th best. Major lighting problems which we ended up throwing in entire lighting assemblies for 1200 bucks a pop. And the problem with the air suspension as well.

The LR3 was still cutting its teeth. We have had some problems but major enough to get people away from it.

The Freelander was fine. But few were sold.

·
Registered
734 Posts
beezel said:
actually we had little problems with the Range Rover in 05. The 03 and 04 werent th best. Major lighting problems which we ended up throwing in entire lighting assemblies for 1200 bucks a pop. And the problem with the air suspension as well.

The LR3 was still cutting its teeth. We have had some problems but major enough to get people away from it.

The Freelander was fine. But few were sold.

I will stick with my Classic and Series. But then again I don't mind getting dirty :drink1:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I think Land Rovers aren't as bad as their reputation though. How many rigs do you see with 150K miles on them out blazing trails in the mountains and always seem to get home unless they are abused? Lots of em.
None of my Rovers (and I've had a few) have ever broken down. Things on them break, but the trucks keep on truckin.
I think part of it is that the demographic for the NEW Rover buyer is an intolerant sod who expects to never have an inconvenience. You see them all the time at the dealers "don't you know who I am" kinda bullsh*t. If you want to see some unreliable cars, drive a new 5 series Bimmer or a Benz. The computers in those things are terrible and crippling the cars.
Sure, both my 04 Discos have a short list of things to look at the next service, but I KNOW that thing will get me wherever I want to go and will provide a driving experience that no other vehicle can provide.
Besides, if people are scared away from them by these media reports- that makes more available for US... and at better prices. Rock on!

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I was watching a video where the guy said..."70% of the land rovers built are still on the road today" now if that's not reliable..I don't know what is!!

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Funrover said:
I was watching a video where the guy said..."70% of the land rovers built are still on the road today" now if that's not reliable..I don't know what is!!

yeah, it was in the BBC Top Gear episode posted a month ago.....the guy was refering to an old dirty dusty rusted out but capable and well used LR series..... IIa I believe, but not sure.

Everyone should see that vid....a real testimate of our vehicles. I agree, LR's break, and they require attention, and the expensive 'food' (fuel, oils, etc.) but they keep going and going. Depending on the owner they could be closer to a pet then a vehicle......they have souls.

·
Registered
302 Posts
keptin said:
Everyone should see that vid....a real testimate of our vehicles. I agree, LR's break, and they require attention, and the expensive 'food' (fuel, oils, etc.) but they keep going and going. Depending on the owner they could be closer to a pet then a vehicle......they have souls.
Testament, and yes, they do have souls. I think one of the best articles that I've read that show how much soul a LR has is from, IIRC, about a year ago from LRM. They did an article of all of the series trucks that were still being used today in the Saharan desert, and how many of these trucks were being repaired with literally twine and gum. Now, if that's not impressive, I don't know what is.

Still, with that said, as cool as the series trucks are, I rather have an RRC or a Disco. Nothing like being able to roll your windows up and enjoy the cold A/C on a really hot day (crazy Texas weather) and listen to your tunes.

And besides, LR's are part of a handful of vehicles that look like they're ready to go and tackle a trail somewhere stock. About the only other vehicle that comes to mind that has such a comanding pose is the FJ's, (sorry, but I have a weak spot for Land Cruisers) and maybe the Jeeps (CJ, YJ, TJ, etc).

I have yet to see any other vehicles that instantly make me think of getting behind the wheel and go explore.:rellye As finicky as they may be, you really can't help but love them. :dunno:

:drink1:

·
Majesticdisco1
1,248 Posts
I agree with all of you about this topic from what I have observed The land rover line has and still does make some very reliable vehicles Now true Land rovers do require good food and good service but thats what makes it fun for the person to enjoy and learn about their truck. I personally don't listen to consumer reports or the J.D power asswipes They spend of lot of their time putting down the Rover line. Saying stuff like Rovers are unreliable or too small if that was so true why does 70-80 percent of the world rely on Rovers why do alot of militaries have them as personnel and rocketlauncher vehicles the Camel trophy wouldn't have use them plus who needs a very large offroad vehicle some people have to realize that land rover was never really intended to be a luxury 4x4 it is today it just so happen because of some american tastes in saying "I drive a Land Rover" rather than really knowing the history and capability of the vehicle. I said this in some other posts on this forum I think land rover makes some of if not the best 4x4s availble where as nothing comes without flaws thats why we modifiy them that's why we learn them. That's why we enjoy them.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
DallasRover said:
I will stick with my Classic and Series. But then again I don't mind getting dirty :drink1:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm with you man!!!!! I like the new ones but I prefer the older ones!!!

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Muddy Oval said:
How many rigs do you see with 150K miles on them out blazing trails in the mountains and always seem to get home unless they are abused? Lots of em...
None of my Rovers (and I've had a few) have ever broken down...

I think part of it is that the demographic for the NEW Rover buyer is an intolerant sod who expects to never have an inconvenience.
And we have a winner! Couldn't have said it better. :drink1:

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
DevynsDad said:
Land Rover, durable enough to be unreliable for years to come.
That is friggen great.....but so true!! LMAO!!:D :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.