Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
reading through the relative threads and almost all the gurus recommend this filter. firstly i failed to locate it at autozone and was recommended to kn 2004 based on the car model i registered within the account.

interestingly i got the 3001 link at autozone via google, but the warning appears that this guy doesnt fit my car.

just ignore the warning and go with it? if so, what about the socket size for the filter nut?

one more thing is i like castrol 0w-30 made in germany/belgium so much. may i use this for my first oil change? i am around portland oregon. high latitude but no cold, rainy winters.

thanks for all your reading and replying...:D

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have used the K&N HP-2004 type filter on my 2000 DII in the past. The "nut" on the top is a 1". These are a waste of money.

You might consider using a Wix 51068 (Carquest "Blue" 85068).Personally, I mostly use the Carquest filter they are half the price of the K&N and just as good. If I can't get one of those I will use a Mann W930/20.

I also recommend using Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W-40, its reasonably priced, readily available and supposedly good for use in our antiquated flat tappet engines.

I would not ignore the warning about the 3001 filter without some good research beforehand.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
K&N oil filters are solid, but too expensive at $15. You're essentially paying a premium for a "performance" brand. You can get Bosch and Mobil 1 filters that are as-good-or-better than the K&N for about half the price. Just avoid FRAM as their quality has gone down considerably over the last decade.

As for oil, 0W-30 isn't a great idea. It's far too light to protect the engine properly at start-up and you risk your pump losing prime and starving your cylinder heads of oil during cold starts. That oil is designed for more modern engines where the tolerances are much tighter and the lighter weight helps with fuel economy. The owner's manual for the Disco specs either 10W-30 or 10W-40. I typically use Mobil 1 10W-40 in the summer and Rotella 5W-40 in the winter. They're both excellent oils and they're available by-the-gallon at your local Walmart, so the cost is very affordable.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Don't screw around trying to save a few bucks on oil filters. The K&N 3001 is an excellent filter. For oil, use Valvoline Premium Blue Heavy Duty Diesel Oil. 15w40. Change it every 3-4k miles religiously. Don't waste your money on synthetics. At 3-4k changes, your flushing your money with the oil. These are dirty engines and need the protective additives in diesel oils for our flat-tappet motors. And don't worry about the weight. I run this oil year round in NE PA with no issues.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had never heard of the K&N 3001 being used on a DII before this thread. I used the HP-2004 a few times because that's what the "guide" said to use. I have looked into it and the 3001 does seem to be a superior filter. I don't see anything wrong with using it, except the price.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I had never heard of the K&N 3001 being used on a DII before this thread. I used the HP-2004 a few times because that's what the "guide" said to use. I have looked into it and the 3001 does seem to be a superior filter. I don't see anything wrong with using it, except the price.
The 3001 is a common upgrade for the D2's. As far as price, maybe expensive in Canada? Bosnian, 15.00. Expensive? Really? For a high-end oil filter? I think not. The only other brands I would even consider would be WIX or NAPA Gold. Go cheap on a oil filter at your own peril.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
how about the idea of diesel oil in gas engine? it sounds quite aggressive.
Running Diesel in a D2 is not a new idea. In fact it is fairly common. Most important is the decline of the use of Zinc in most motor oils. It is a frontline defense for our flat-tappet motors. Higher-end synthetics have better levels still, but are pricey at 3k oil changes. Diesel oils still maintain a level of Zinc that is beneficial to our engines. Last I looked, The Valvoline brand offered one of the highest levels still.
Second, our engines are fairly dirty, and the extra detergents in diesel can combat that.
And thirdly, Diesel oil can be sourced almost anywhere for cheap. It's one of the very few things I would recommend going cheap on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.