Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99' DII that I'm thinking of selling. It has a 2" Terrafirma lift on in with 2" RTE SLS spacers in the rear. I installed a heavy duty front drive shaft and installed a CDL from a 04' DII. I also installed a SS Magnaflow cat back system, a heavy duty rear bumper from Atlantic British and installed 03'-04' style e-code headlights. The 05' LR3 I'm looking at has just over 100k on it and has all options including navigation. The dealer is asking around $11k. He said is has a clean Auto Check report as well. Most of my time these days is spent on road pulling the boat around. I still occasionally go off roading though. Are the LR3's reliable? I've heard they can have problems with the fuel injectors, tie rod ends, and control arm bushings. I'm not sure if these issues have been addressed on the one I'm looking at though. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and see.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I own both a DII and LR3. The 3 is a much better vehicle in every way than a DII except in the fact they are far more complex and expensive to maintain/modify. It is also staggeringly heavy so will eat tyres, steering/suspension components and brakes in short order. The Elecronic Air Suspension tends to cause the most problems (suprise suprise) but diff issues are also showing up as well now. However, there is a wealth of knowledge to be had now on LR3 problems and fixes via forums etc.

Off road it works ok in stock form as long as you can find a half decent MT/AT tyre for it but mods are limited to minor items like a winch bumper and small lifts allowing a slightly larger tyre size so you won't be following your friends big wheeled rigs too far up the trail. Terrain Response can be both a blessing and a curse depending on your skill level and surface conditions.

The materials and build quality is 100% better. The V8 is powerful and manages not to leak, run like **** or blow the HG every five minutes. Interior room and versatility is also vastly improved, as is reliability.

Generally speaking, regardless of mileage the later the model year the less design/manufacturing flaws the vehicle will have.

Don't be scared of a well maintained high mileage LR3. They tend to wear much better than the first two.

·
1,854 Posts
Lr3 100%

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.