Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1998 4.6HSE with 114,000 miles. Have an offer to sell it for 12,000. Bought it new and serviced it well, changed oil every 3500 mi. Recently had some minor stuff done...minor but expensive ( ex.heater core leaking...new o-rings..parts cheap, but labor ran 280.00). I am concerned that I am going to start getting into more and more of these repairs.

I am trying to get a feeling from forum members should I sell or should I keep and take my chances? Buying anything new costs a consoiderable amount of cash.

Your thoughts

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Take a walk on the wild side, Driving a P38A that's out of warranty is more exciting than seeing how far you can go with the gas guage on 'E'

We Celts are a frugal bunch. The English translation of my Gaelic family motto is "Never Pay Retail". More specifically, my particular family branch long ago adopted the motto "If You Actually Pay For It, Never Pay Retail". Ever since horses were no longer the prime means of travel, we have been searching for something else to steal.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sell and get Classic

I was once looking at 97 RR 4.6HSE before I purchased my 95 RR LWB. Found out that electrical on P38 is nightmare and also, 97 I was looking at had a lucas rather than the Bosch, which I heard was better but price was pricey and not as versatile as Classic.

·
Registered
490 Posts
A well serviced P38 should last a long time and, in general, be reliable. The heater core O-rings are a known problem. Blend motors on the climate control are another known problem. (the motors that open / close flaps on the system to direct air to floor, defrost, vents, etc) See if all of the positions on the CC work correctly and switch fairly quickly. If so, then fine. Does your a/c work? If not, and its no big deal, than don't worry about it. If you like a/c, or need it, repairs are $$$. How about the BeCM? (the large computer under pass seat) Is it the original? If it is, do all of your electronics in the car work correctly? This is a very expensive repair, around $1,000. They are known to fail, but if kept dry sometimes they work a very long time. How about your engine? Pull off the PCV hoses. (they are small short hoses which come up out of the valve covers (front drv. side, back pass side.) The one on the driver's side is shortest and goes into the intake just before plenum. The one on pass side goes from valve cover into side of plenum. Look inside them for milky white fluid. Check the inside of you roil fill cap for water / or the milky gunk. If you have this, possibly a headgasket repair is in your future. This can be pricey. If everything looks good here, keep up the good maintenance (oil changes are considered most important) but do things like change trans fluid, brake fluid, diff & t-case fluids, and the truck might be worth keeping. Many people will also swear by the LUCAS / GEMS system in the P38'a which ran from 1994-98 before the BOSCH system.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Mafpolo..

the big question is, what would you replace it with? If you have something else you want, then go for it and sell it... I like variety myself.. heck I've had 30 cars and 9 motorcycles so far..

Serg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.