Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
hope every one had a nice xmas
ok bad day too day............... long story hear we go ...a few weeks a go i did a tank change and as far as i can recall she run fine befor..... i was on the a13 done some miles and my 109 just dies like fuel starv.... so restarts all ok some weeks later againg on the a13 did the same thing after around 30 miles then starts ok THIS TIME i drive 25miles gets on the m25 then every few miles it cuts out. a couple of long turn overs she starts and gos on then i get the m25 partrol mob behind me thay say got to get of motor way as iam a danger :D so off i go i find a car shop in enfied buys a fuel filter changes it ,lots of black suff in fuel then all done she runs ok gets me to work .....
then on return i get the same all the way home 55 miles stop start it seemed to last longer if i kept it under 30 :eek: but she got me home so any idears wear to start :dunno:

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
check fuel lines are away from hot exhaust pipes also check of nipped pipes the hard plastic type can split if kinked which can weaken the draw of the fuel pump,and remove the fuel line from the tank and blow down it incase some debris is trapped in the dipper pipe

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fuel black

hi
well ive looked at the pipes that go to and from the pump all look ok no cracks or leaks i removed the fuel pump due to the fuel i found in the filter to be black which seems like it had been drawing oil though the pump i striped the pump did find some oil to have got pass the seals but not too sure if it was the cause .so gonner change the pump to be sure ive found no fuel leaks ie got a kink in the main fuel line to the injecters i will change that too. ive got some rusty looking thing on the chass looks like a old electric fuel pump with wires i thinking of removeing this in case it causeing any problems

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Two things come to mind, but not from experience specific to Land Rovers; just general exposure to diesels over the years in ships, boats, and land applications.

A.)The fuel return line from injectors/pump, must be completely free of any obstructions, so that there is virtually no chance for pressure buildup. Back pressure in these lines will cause the pump to bypass, dropping pressure to the injectors.
B.) Even the tinyest leak in the inlet line, from tank to filter, seperator and pump, can allow air to enter (be drawn in). These teeny bubbles, over a short while, become a large bubble, and cause a loss of prime, or an airlock which the pump can't overcome. If the air gets past the pump (remember that air is compressable, fuel is not) the air can accumulate in an individual injector line. Each time the pump piston for that cylinder pushes, it is only compressing the air in the line, but the fuel doesn't get out the injector. That would only give you a severe missing symptom but if the air accumulates IN the pump, none of the injectors will be getting full pressure, if any at all.

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
ahh diesel,yes check for air as terry sez also replace the olives in the lift pump pipes I had a nightmare some years ago I later found it was the olives,my advice would be to replace all pipes for rubber ones,check filter seals,best way to check for air is to use some clear hose between the filter and injection pump any bubbles whatsoever will cause no end of trouble use the clear hose on all pipes to trace the leak

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think the key is in the mention of chnaging the tank recently. You seem to have diagnosed your own problem. Fuel filter plugging up and debris in the lines. Drain and rinse the tank with new fuel. Check the pickup tube to be sure nothing is plugging it up too. Disconnect the fuel line at the pump and GENTLY (not with 100 psi of air) blow the line out to make sure there is not sediment partially blocking this. Make sure there is a screen on the pickup tube as well or you might be getting scale blocking this.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Fuel tank problem

I agree that the key is the new tank. Is it brand new? A new tank could still have collected dust and dirt. An old tank could be rusted. I had the problem (petrol not diesel) that my tank was rusted and no matter how I cleaned it and acid bathed it the sediment clogged everything up.

What I did was put a plastic in-line filter in to make changing it cheaper and easier. I eventually had to discard the tank and run on my smaller auxillary tank until funds increase and I can buy a new one.

Hope you get the problem sorted because it usually conks out at the most inconvenient time :mad:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
still cutting out

hi all
ok fitted new pump fuel tank and fuel pick filter was clean no air leaks in fuel line did find a badly fitted olive on the pipe that gos to the bottom of the injecter pump so i had a good spare all bled out takes her for a run done around 10 miles all ok so i decide to take her a work got 30 miles dow the road on the m25 road to hell and on the way up a hill starts pulling back :mad: so i no shes gonner cut out at the same place as befor so i get of at the m11 turn off and shes going to cut out :complain: so i manige to get on the a127 she dies just tries to star and cuts out ther no air and ther fuel in the filter no air comes out of the pump so whats wroung iam looking at changeing the injector pump now seems like shes bypassing when she gets hot is the pump removal easy or is ther any sort of marks ive got to aline up
got to work at 2.45 :buttrock: sad day

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi all
hope every one had a nice xmas
ok bad day too day............... long story hear we go ...a few weeks a go i did a tank change and as far as i can recall she run fine befor..... i was on the a13 done some miles and my 109 just dies like fuel starv.... so restarts all ok some weeks later againg on the a13 did the same thing after around 30 miles then starts ok THIS TIME i drive 25miles gets on the m25 then every few miles it cuts out. a couple of long turn overs she starts and gos on then i get the m25 partrol mob behind me thay say got to get of motor way as iam a danger :D so off i go i find a car shop in enfied buys a fuel filter changes it ,lots of black suff in fuel then all done she runs ok gets me to work .....
then on return i get the same all the way home 55 miles stop start it seemed to last longer if i kept it under 30 :eek: but she got me home so any idears wear to start :dunno:
hi ive got a 94 v8 discovery it was doing the same thing, i checked all the fuel line and found the fuel filter loose so it was sucking in air. it would drive fine for a while and then get a pocket of air and cut out.:wave: then i would wait for a few minutes and it would start again and run fine for a while,so maybe you are getting air in your line some where.i hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.