Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bleeds Green
111 Posts
You can find them on ebay for under $100 with the electronics inside. Not sure about how to program it to your Disco though.

·
very disco
940 Posts
Seriously, a quick google search yields tons of outlets selling keys.

The tricky part is in fact getting them programmed.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Yes, but to synk fob without the original bar code you need nanocom, all the other tools need the bar code

·
very disco
940 Posts
if you're not looking to spend dealership dollars on the key replacement, then you're probably not looking to spend big money on the equipment to program them yourself.

i would call around to a few local indie key shops and see who has the best deal on selling/programming a key for you. will still be $200 or so, but that's maybe half what the dealer will ask, and still less than buying a blank and a tool to sync it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had to do this a couple years back. I went on ebay and found a key fob with out the electronics and a blank key. I switched out the electronics to the new fob and went to a lock smith to get the key cut. I believe this cost me around $30 total, been working great, no reprogramming involved.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seriously, a quick google search yields tons of outlets selling keys.

The tricky part is in fact getting them programmed.
Hey “reverendALC”—I have the same Disco as you, 03 SE7, does the key have to be programmed? I had read where the Disco 2 didn’t (possibly)...I have one complete key fob. My key is temporarily epoxied in fob. I need to make a move soon on this issue. Also, see attachment pic, what’s your take on these fob case replacements and the key blank?

Appreciate you. Hope your holiday was groovy.
(I wanted help you out on that part no. But I am listening unless I’ve done a full study on homework. I see this vehicle as pretty straightforward and not too difficult to wrestle. I am halfway thru fluid changes and just about to plug and wire it. I plan to learn it well. I savvy auto mechanics to 1990. I am handy. And I tinker. Not in a rush as I’ve mostly always been. This site is a godsend too. I’m having fun.)
Blessings, Jim
(you can call or text too, 512-825-4638 if you’d rather I promise to be respectful and mindful with your caller I’d if you do). Thx, in Austin, TX 78741

·
very disco
940 Posts
I’ve never had to program a key for my disco, so I can’t say for certain. I would assume that special equipment (nanocom etc) would be required. I have also read about people saying you can sync your key fob with some procedure, but I know for a fact that the nanocom has a “program key” feature.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
, does the key have to be programmed? I had read where the Disco 2 didn’t (possibly).
I can tell you for sure that the D2 fob MUST be programmed with dedicated tester and for that it's compulsory to have it's code which is written on the back of it's PCB or the original bar code which comes with new fobs... no other way to make it work believe me

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve never had to program a key for my disco, so I can’t say for certain. I would assume that special equipment (nanocom etc) would be required. I have also read about people saying you can sync your key fob with some procedure, but I know for a fact that the nanocom has a “program key” feature.
Thank you. I will check the dealer and/or a locksmith. And I will let you know my findings. My key doesn’t look like a chip-ed key. I need another transmitter anyway. I know some simply have a sequence, others need programming. Had a Volvo that sequenced on after-market fobs. Had a camry that had to be programmed by dealer or smith. One of the threads here claims the discoveries are not chip-ed. I hope not. Way cheaper. I started to buy the same fob w/transmitter I bought for the Volvo S70 and try. My alarm on my Disco is simple but functions and works great. Anyway. I will get to the bottom..find the answer. Then report my findings sir. God bless. And LORD guide #JimDiscoveryng_03SE7 in 2019 and beyond. Bless all these guys and gals too.

[Extra curricular: By the way, are you really a Reverend?]

Free/no charge X-extra: Oh and I just noticed: https://www.landroversonly.com/members/sierrafery.100409/...well that didn’t work out like I planned...SIERRAFERY shared some info. Above. Love this think tank of brilliance!! Ha. Discovery —-disclose, present the evidence. Find the facts. Fellowship all the while. Or ‘him-haw’ around if you prefer. Like ol Disco said in a post, something to the affect of our the work in. Do it right. Don’t slack, be lazy, nor guess. Go yard! Yessiree. I agree and will walk worthy. But ramble too. I talk to me non-stop; and crack me up religiously. Progress. Connect the dots. a2+b2=c2. Correct Path. to theory. It’ll prove. I betcha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts