Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
4WheelDrifter
29 Posts
Tranny has to be in park (Press brake pedal and select "Park"), and wiggle the steering wheel to ensure it is locked. Push in on the key and turn it back toward you. It should come out. If it doesn't, maybe you inserted the aux key for the doors/gas door, and jammed it. If so, I have no idea how to correct w/o replacing the switch. :beer:

·
Registered
5 Posts
This happened to me and was very annoying. I would advise to try what the above post said first. I had no luck with such things. Ended up having it towed to the dealer- they had to put in a new ignition and change the keys! Sorry- it sucks big time and was totally out of the blue.

·
roverbear
3 Posts
Be careful taking the key out cause this happened to he and i snapped the key, with part still stuck in the ignition. NOT GOOD!!!

·
4WheelDrifter
29 Posts
It won't fix itself, the "key" (no pun intended) is to understand how the system works. The transmission has to be in 'park'. The steering wheel must be 'locked'. Press the ignition key 'in' and rotate toward you (counter-clockwise). The key should come out. If not, see a dealer. :drink1:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Used to happen to me. Had a fit when the key wouldn't turn, and literally shook the vehicle front to back while grasping the wheel (I had already tried turning the wheel to be sure the car was in park). Something clicked, and the key turned. Ultimately, I had the same fate as DavidM - the dealer changed the ignition lock and key.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine was similar. I had to push the key in in and pull the key out several times(firmly) while turning it towards me. Rovers have a funny way of eating keys. After you finally get the key out, grab a tube of graphite lube and apply liberally to the key. Don't use petroleum based lubes, they'll gum up the mechanism.

Stay away from the shops as much as possible on small things. It's better to learn the in's and out's first hand.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for the day. Teach the man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine just did that in the middle of a 4000 mile trip, just got back 2 days ago... I had to remove the top of the steering column black plastic housing... then I just unplugged the interlock harness. It sits right on top of the key slot.... the key came right out afterwards. I just plugged it back in today and its all better now. At least I know what to do next time. :)

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
How much was total cost
This happened to me and was very annoying. I would advise to try what the above post said first. I had no luck with such things. Ended up having it towed to the dealer- they had to put in a new ignition and change the keys! Sorry- it sucks big time and was totally out of the blue.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
It is a ten year old thread. I had a problem removing my key from my '99DII. When I finally wiggled it and got it out, I found by trial and error that it would not stick if I made sure one particular side of the key was up each time. Something wore wrong on the key I suppose. I filed a knotch in that side of the key and feel for it now each time before I insert the key and no problem.

Suggest you patiently wiggle, move back and forth, restart and turn off the engine, move the steering wheel back and forth until it comes out, then have a new key and meantime abide with the advice above.

·
very disco
1,426 Posts
also, just to rule out the gear selector, try to remove the key in N. probably a worn key, but not always.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts