Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
do any of you have a problem where sometimes the key wont turn at all? as like its stuck or locked? its really annoying and sometimes can take up to 20 minutes of playing w/ it to finally get the key to turn and the car to start...anyway of fixin this?

· Registered
1,506 Posts
I have that problem all the time. I've had new original keys cut and it doesn't help so I guess it's the tumbler (worn out).

· Registered
70 Posts
Sounds like your wheel is locked, which trips the locking mechanism in the ignition. One time that happened (it happens about once every few weeks but not like this) and I almost had to be towed because it took 2 hours to get it to work. If you notice that your steering wheel is locked, with the key in the ignition, pull hard on the wheel to one side, and it should unlock something and make the key turnable. I think this also might have something to do with the alarm going off, an immobilisation thing. Good luck.

· Registered
5,468 Posts
One or all or any combo of the following:

1 - tumbler going bad

2 - wheel locked too tight

3 - need lubricant in key hole

4 - alarm needs to be turned on then off to reset something or another

5 - your truck is of the female persuasion and you pissed it off so now that you put the key in her, she just won't turn on for you, no matter how much jigglin' you do, no matter how much you beg and plead...oops, my divorce is getting the best of me :beer:

· Registered
33 Posts
Just went through that problem with my Disco2. Not the steering wheel lock, not lubrication, not the key, not worn tumblers. It is an on/off problem with no in-between. I pulled it apart (had to cut slots in bolts to remove). There are electronics in there to keep the key from being removed while on. Possibly handles the buzzing when left key in as well.

I disconnected the wiring and have had no problems since. Don't know if that really was the cause, but it has worked fine since the disconnect. Security still works too. I also noted that the key needs to be pushed in to turn.

I keep the necessary screwdrivers and wrenches handy, just in case.

Note: dealer wants hundred$ for new lock. And the key will then be different from the doors.

Good luck.

· Registered
490 Posts
I have the same problem at times. The only thing that works for me is pulling the key out and trying again and again then getting pissed off and forcefully yanking the steering wheel back and forth. Start over.... and repeat. Try to pull the steering wheel off... repeat. Bang on the steering wheel... then repeat.

Thus far this has worked ever time. Sometimes, it just take longer. LOL

· Registered
21 Posts
Just went through the same problem. Bent one key trying to get it to turn! Had to go back home and get spare key, also brought along a can of WD-40 to spray into ignition. Now works perfect! Try lubrication first before anything else, you might want to use graphite, WD-40 was all I had handy at the time!
Best of luck

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
bcball said:
you might want to use graphite, WD-40 was all I had handy at the time!
Best of luck
Graphite is not a good idea in the ignition tumbler. It's very conductive and can short out the switch, which is a rotary wafer switch attached to the end of the tumbler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.