Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to swap a entire keyless entry system from a 1996 disco to a 1998 disco without having any trouble and without reprogramming? I have a working keyless entry on the 1996 both fobs work without any issues but my much nicer 1998 disco does not have key fobs at all I would just like to swap the whole system but I am scared I will screw something up and have to pay Land Rover to reprogram things.

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
Thanks for the reply Shifty, hope the guy comes back to follow up.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Wouldn't necessarily be a straight swap due to the fact that your '98 has the Advanced Evap System where as you're '96 does not. You would likely wind up with a perpetual CEL on the dash. This may or may not be an issue for you. I don't know if this would cause a default limp mode where you would see diminished performce and gas mileage. Beyond that, short of finding a shop that has a Land Rover dedicated diagnostic computer for your DI (nanocom, hawkeye, ect) you're stuck with the dealer. The GEMS system was not as shadetree friendly as the 14CUX system.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Doubtful. I know the alarm boxes have to be synced with the ECU. As far as I recall much or all of the keyless entry is controlled in the alarm "black box"
"green box" on GEMS trucks. The Lucas 10AS alarm module is that green box on the flip down panel behind the glove box. The 14CUX used the Lucas 17VT black alarm module located in the same position.

For the original poster, 14CUX was the fuel injection system used on 1994 and 1995 model year Discovery's. In 1996 Land Rover began using the GEMS injection system which was much more linked to the 10AS module than the earlier system.

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
There was a Russian on LRF that cobbled together a T4, he said it was somewhat common on the black market to find all the dongles,doodads and software. Very hard to find shops over there that work on GEMS trucks apparently..... I know that's a bit off topic but if there is a will, there is a way.

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
GPS tracking too! Watch my vehicle enter the Conex as it sets sail for China....... You know, IMHO I would rather whack a finger with a hammer then try to marry an aftermarket alarm to a Rover. I can't even keep the tail lights lit in summertime weather.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
Bada Bing Bada Boom. DrDisco777 if your still out there? You have a winner, winner, possessed chicken dinner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.