Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SCUBA Instructor
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, thanks for all your help on my flasher issue, got that resolved. :clap:

Now, how about some help with this... how can I tell if my 98 Dicso is compatible with a keyless locking system?

Can I buy and install an OEM version?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not certain, but I think keyless entry was standard on that vintage. If correct, then you need to get a remote or two and take it to the stealer to have it programmed(must be hooked up to the computer). OEM Remotes are always available on ebay. Try to get one that is guaranteed. It cost me $103 to have the programming done.

·
SCUBA Instructor
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch!

Just got off the phone with my local "stealer" - they want $147 for the remote and $100 for programming... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Keyless Entry

Whoa Dawg,

If your disco is a series 1 then you can re-program the remotes yourself, providing you have the original handset.

To reprogram the remote/s Lock the car with the key and press the unlock button 4 times, then press the unlock button again and the doors should unlock. Please ensure that the battery is good and stand as close to the car as you can.

Hope this helps,
Wes

·
Registered
523 Posts
Dawg:
I'm almost shure that all Disco l's have the keyless entry feature.I'm assuming that you bought it without any remotes.As stated before, buy the remotes from an online store or e-bay since they pop-up there from time to time.It would be a better move rather than dealer(always more expensive at the dealer), and have the dealer program them.You could save a couple bucks that way.Just my two cents.
Carlos

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
You can only reprogram the single button remotes yourself. If it is a 2 button remote, you will have to have the dealer do it.

Go to the "Prdocut Reviews" sectoin on the top green navigation bar and read my review on remotes.

Serg

·
Registered
720 Posts
If you live in any urban jungle, you have to be very careful with single button remotes. What happens is the 'bad guys' hang around in the huge parking lots (usually at malls) and have a neat little unit that can record the signal as you lock your truck with the remote. They simply wait for you to leave and then send out a duplicate signal from their hand held 'copier' that opens your doors and turns off the alarm. The OE units are dual signal I believe with a different signal setting your alarm from the one that turns it off. The 'copiers' can't open your door because they don't get your second signal until you return to drive away. Even the dual signal units aren't foolproof as the crooks simply log your signals and wait for you to come back in a week or so. There is so much theft now in the Pacific Northwest that you have to go to a secondary protection system to thwart these buggers. One of the best systems is a separate hidden fuel pump switch. On older carbed trucks a manual fuel shutoff works best (available from Napa Parts) because there is usually just enough fuel in the carb floatbowl to let the thief drive for 30 seconds and then the engine stalls. From what I've read, the thief always just abandons the vehicle in this situation. So.... get an OE remote and install some other 'immobilizer' as well - you might even be eligible for an insurance discount.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.