I just got a 2nd Fob. Without having to go to the dealer is there any way to program the key. And how exactly do they have to do it. Everything is so expensive on the Island... I just don't want to pay the prices. Thanks
If you are talking about a key for a 98 or newer Rover, the dealer is the only one who can help you. It envolves using the test book and resetting the codes for both your old key and the new one so your truck recognizes and allows it's use.
If you Disco is a '94-95' and your key fob has just the single button, here is how you re-code it.
Programming for 94 & 95 models.
you will need a friend to help you as it is difficult to do all this yourself within 8 seconds. Have your friend either sit in the drivers seat while you hold down the hood switch or visa/versa.
1. Starting conditions: Ignition off, doors unlocked, hood
2. Carry out instructions 3 – 9 within 8 seconds.
3. Switch ignition on.
4. Switch ignition off.
5. Lock doors (manually)
6. Unlock doors (manually)
7. Release hood switch.
8. Switch ignition on.
9. Switch ignition off. If alarm is correctly accessed, horn will sound and LED will light. It is now possible to program 2 handsets of correct frequency to vehicle alarm ECU. This must be carried out within 2 minutes.
10. Press and hold down button on the first handset until
dash LED flashes.
11. Press and hold down button on the second handset until
12. The LED will extinguish if both handsets have been