Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

OK so I will be underneath the disco this weekend and I am looking for some advise on an issue I would like to fix.

I have a 96 disco, 4.0 v8 with autobox; I have never had the kickdown working. I have looked first of all at the throttle end where the kick down cable is attached, it was not connected at first so I thought this was the problem, prior to connecting it I have tried to give it a tug and it seems that there is some resistance and a spring type return. This to me feels like it is working correctly ?

I would like to check the gearbox end of the cable to see where it attaches and if its all proper and correct, however all I seem to see is the cable disapearing into the gearbox and no connection visible. I am either looking in the wrong place or I am just plain stupid. :confused

If you can tell me where I should be looking, I would be real gratefull.

I did actuallt fully connect the cable and got no kick down, I have heard that this can also be due to a faulty fuel pump? any comments ?

If anyone has any views about the correct set up of the cable please do let me know.

Seeing as I have been waiting for months for my fuel tank recall replacement, I would like to try to get this issue resolved prior to it going to the dealer.

Many thanks in advance.

John.

· Registered
229 Posts
Kickdown

johnjcoyle said:
Hello,

OK so I will be underneath the disco this weekend and I am looking for some advise on an issue I would like to fix.

I have a 96 disco, 4.0 v8 with autobox; I have never had the kickdown working. I have looked first of all at the throttle end where the kick down cable is attached, it was not connected at first so I thought this was the problem, prior to connecting it I have tried to give it a tug and it seems that there is some resistance and a spring type return. This to me feels like it is working correctly ?

I would like to check the gearbox end of the cable to see where it attaches and if its all proper and correct, however all I seem to see is the cable disapearing into the gearbox and no connection visible. I am either looking in the wrong place or I am just plain stupid. :confused

If you can tell me where I should be looking, I would be real gratefull.

I did actuallt fully connect the cable and got no kick down, I have heard that this can also be due to a faulty fuel pump? any comments ?

If anyone has any views about the correct set up of the cable please do let me know.

Seeing as I have been waiting for months for my fuel tank recall replacement, I would like to try to get this issue resolved prior to it going to the dealer.

Many thanks in advance.

John.

Make sure the throttle on the intake is fully closed. On the trans cable bracket there should be an adjusting nut to inc/decr the freeplay.
The adjustment is having a gap of about 1.20 mm. between the end of
the threaded cable housing and the crimped tit on the cable.

If you still have no kickdown your going to have to drop the pan and see
if the cable came undone or binding, etc. PIA

Good luck joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.