Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My late Classic has devellopped a metalic knock from the rear end. It happens when the vehicle is given a small, sharp rock, like climbing in and out. It sounds like someone flicking an empty tin-can, and seems to be eminating from the chassis at the inboard joint between the rear cross-member and the left main rail.

The anti-roll bar joints and A-frame ball joint were replaced less than a week before the noise appeared, but seem to operate smoothly. The 2 rear fuel tank mounting bolts have been re-tightened, as have the rear body mounts (which appear to be in good condition).

Has anyone experienced this problem before or have any ideas on what it may be?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Snagger,
Not sure my problems matches yours:

The missus complained of a noise from her 92 RR, I took it out for a dive and it did sound like a baffle was loose in one of the rear silencers (muffler for our north american friends) but whilst changing the heater matrix on saturday I noticed the sound without the engine running. I could get it to make a noise by turning the ignition on and off. The noise is located at the rear offside part of the car (nearside for them that don't drive on the traditional side of the road). I think it is a releif valve on the air suspension situated by the rear mudflap.

This proberly has no bearing on your problem, so sorry to bore you with mine :)

regards

Colin

Colin

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not boring at all, and all suggesions are welcome! Unfortunately for this theory, mine's a coiler! It's very strange, because the part of the chassis that seems to be prducing the noise (and has the greatest touch detectable knock) has nothing attached in the immediate vicinity, suggesting that is is being transfered by some kind of resonance from elswhere. Damn.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rear end knock...

Hi Snagger,
I expect you have already checked this, but have you bounced each corner of the vehicle to see if its coming from a shock absorber. They are known to make "Tinnie" sounds when starting to fail, sometimes brought on by stretching the old shock out by jacking the vehicle up for other work,
just a thought?
Andy :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I even had my wife bounce the vehicle while I lay underneath to locate the noise. It wasn't the size of the bounce that was important, but the sharpness. It also had to vary direction. The noise is definately coming from around the left end of the rear cross-member, though I'm not ruling out dampers (or anything else) at the moment, as there is nothing fitted to the chassis where the noise is coming from (leading me to suspect some resonance causing the noise to be produced well away from the problem). Nothing's ever easy on a Land Rover!

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
tank

Its not the float in the tank tapping the bottom is it,mine can do that from time to time or the tank sender unit come loose.
ONz

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Snagger,
I am away this weeekend, but any time you need a hand diagnosing problems let me know. given the community of this forum we must be a pair of the closest in distance, about 20 miles.
regards
Colin :wave:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.