Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

So, I did a partial rebuild back in the spring. New Head Gaskets, Timing Cover Gasket, Timing Chain and everything in between. The engine runs like a champ now and I've put many miles on over the summer but I've got a couple of troublesome codes.

The first is a p0332 Knock Sensor Bank 2, passenger side on a LHD truck I do believe. I purchased a new sensor and installed it, no luck. I swapped the left and right sensors. Still the original fault. I then inspected the wiring on the bad side. It looked like there was a break in the connection line between the coaxial portion and the individual wires to the plug. I repaired with a wire connector and checked for continuity between the pin and after the connector with success. Still getting the code.

Are there any other tests I can do? Where does the other side of the harness lead to for more continuity tests?

The other is a p0455... yeah I know, what fun. I have replaced the gas cap which didn't fix it. I then got a smoke test done and they said it was the canister vent valve... cool. Bought a new one, $225 and a 15 second install later, code still there. I've cleared the codes and driven many miles a few times already and it keeps coming back. Any ideas? Any little things I could try? I read about cleaning the purge valve?

Thank you all for any help!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had the shop redo the smoke test and they found another leak. Fixed it free of charge. If anyone is in the Rochester area, I recommend Grave's Automotive thanks to that.

Still have the knock sensor code. Is there anywhere I can get a replacement wiring harness for the sensor from the ECU, or can I replace the coaxial cable with some thin gauge coaxial from the store myself?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm talking to myself but it's cool maybe somebody will find this useful.

I fixed the knock sensor! After tearing every end apart, I determined the discontinuity was somewhere in the ground wire, which is the outer layer of the coaxial. I began making cuts starting from the plug working my way up until I got continuity between the cut and the ecm. Soldered crimped and shrink wrapped a replacement section of wire just for the ground about 10 inches long and put it all back together. And we're in business.

I gained a camshaft position sensor error though... anything?

Edit: By the way... the right hand knock sensor pins are 35 and 36 in connector 3 on the ecm. Red and white wires coming out the back side of the plug.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just accidentally unplugged the camshaft position sensor plug while messing with the harness.

Engine runs much better, no check engine light, no codes... I'm happy. Cheers to myself for problem solving!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts