Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, some advice. Looking at buying an '02 Disco with 116K miles. Gonna be a project but will also use as an occasional driver. It has a knocking sound, and the dealer selling it says it's the catalytic converter. Parts are ordered and it will be fixed. All else looks fine. Should I run away?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Have you taken it to have a pre-purchase inspection yet, if not leave it along till you do or you will most likely get screwed.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
1. A catalytic converter cannot "knock" or make any noise whatsoever, unless the element inside is smashed - and I highly doubt this is the case. Did you hear the noise yourself? Odds are that it's more likely than not coming from the engine. Unless all it needs is some oil there is no "affordable" way to properly fix it.

2. I would rate leaky sunroofs a medium-hard job as it requires removing the headliner to diagnose. Cracked drains are common and are easily fixed and sometimes all you need is a bit of compressed air in the drain tube to clear it out.

Keep looking. There are plenty of affordable Discos that don't have the problems you described.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Just to correct the last statement, a cat can rattle if it has been allowed to over heat based on too much gas, oil or coolant going thru it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I knew y'all would be a great help. Thanks. There are other deals out there, this was just more convenient. I ask them to fix first, but they said price was as is. I'll find another one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just make sure the heat shield welds are not cracked. I have had people swear their cats are bad and it is a heat shield rattling. Simple fix large hose clamp around cat will hold the shield tight again which is better than removing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.