Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got this knock in my 2000 D2 engine. Sometimes I dont hear it, other days I do. I've had the Rover for almost 2 years. I've done almost all of my own service but its all a learning experience for me. Anyways, she's got 160,000 miles, no engine codes, everything seems ok. Not perfect. My questions are:

Can a knock lead to something worse?
Is there a common place where the knock occurs on D2's?
If so, whats causing the problems?

Thanks

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
It's not going to be rods - our engines either knock due to slipped liners, sticky lifters, worn valve train, or insufficient oil pressure caused by cracked pump gears or dirty oil passages. Although rare, an exhaust leak can cause a ticking noise that is intermittent and fades as the motor warms up.

Check your oil level and quality and ensure that nothing is amiss. Then get an oil pressure test done to make sure it's within spec. (Cold Idle, Hot Idle, Cold 2000 RPM, Hot 2000 RPM). Cold readings should be 50+ PSI, hot idle should be no lower than 13PSI, and hot 2000 RPM should be no lower than 40PSI. If you're far off of these numbers stop driving and start troubleshooting.

If the oil pressure looks good, myself and a few other forum members have used (and I hate to admit it) Marvel Mystery Oil to good effect. If your problem is indeed a sticky lifter, the high mineral oil content of the MMO can help break up the gum that's preventing the lifter from building pressure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.