Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to take our L322 2006 Range Rover on a beach trip a few weeks ago and found the steering column failed in the locked position.

Since I'm not keen on spending $1000 on a used column that may break again, I tried all the tricks I found online. I drilled and oiled the column with no luck.

I tried pulling fuse 18 and the module but the column was still locked. Even if I started it I couldn't drive it anywhere and I wasn't happy with having to pull a fuse or flip a switch and then wait 10 seconds every time I started this thing.

So, I pulled to column and released the lock.

I then realized I could get 95% normal operation by running the ignition lock into one of the interior lights.

Our beach trip was a success and this was essentially a free bypass. I can now start my truck every time with my steering column unplugged as soon as I get in the truck without waiting. All the tilt/button functions are 100% working. The only time you ever notice this has been done is if you turn it off and try to start it again without opening a door. You have to hit the dome light in order to start the truck but those lights come on and stay on everytime you open your door so most of the time you never notice.

Hope this gives some of you additional repair options. Let me know if anyone has questions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a 2005 L322 with the steering lock issue. My Rover had the added issue that even after I pulled fuse 18 and got the key to turn, the starter was not engaging. After trying this fix (before reading the comments section), the key turned every time but the starter still did not engage so I combined this workaround with another from Raymond Hernandez (
) and my Rover works perfectly now. The combination is to solder the blue unlock wire to the interior lights as Rob The Car Guy teaches so the key turns consistently, then I wired a relay into the starter wire Raymond Hernandez points out in his video with a momentary switch providing the ground for the new starter relay. Now I turn the key to the second position and hit a "starter button" that engages the starter and starts the Rover. This has worked perfectly for the last week.

·
Expert Crate Digger
232 Posts
Eric The Car Guy > Rob The Car Guy... just sayin... lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts