Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Throwing Money at It
1995 Land Rover Discovery
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally pulled the trigger on a DII, a 2003 SE. So far very happy, replacing my front u-joints this weekend, no other real issues yet. I feel, however, like it's very lacking power. Honestly, my 95 feels quicker. I noticed when driving on the interstate that if I floor it at 50 or so, it will downshift, but as it passes through 3000 RPM, the revs will drop a little, then pick back up and keep accelerating. I'm thinking of starting with spark plugs, unless anyone else has an idea, or there's a known issue I should search for.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So how many miles on it, when was it last tuned and what fault code numbers do you have?

·
Throwing Money at It
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So how many miles on it, when was it last tuned and what fault code numbers do you have?
80,850 miles on it, maintenance history doesn't show a tune-up and the plug wires look OEM, and the only fault I showed was a P0442, which went away after I got gas(hoping I just forgot to tighten the cap).

To clarify, when I bought it there was no CEL or codes that my scanner picked up, but after about 250 miles, when I stopped for gas on the drive home, the CEL turned on a little bit after I pulled out of the gas station. I turned it off the next time I stopped for gas, and I haven't seen it since.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So, start with a tune up, plugs, 8 mm silicone wires , a can of BG 44K in the gas tank and go from there.
How mechanical are you?
I would suggest British Parts of Utah for some 8 mm wires, either the DTI or Magnacor, and a set of E3 #48 spark plugs from your local parts store along with the gas additive,
You might want to look at my list at the top of the D2 section for Major services and do it all, especially the front drive shaft inspection/replacement or rebuild.

·
Throwing Money at It
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, start with a tune up, plugs, 8 mm silicone wires , a can of BG 44K in the gas tank and go from there.
How mechanical are you?
I would suggest British Parts of Utah for some 8 mm wires, either the DTI or Magnacor, and a set of E3 #48 spark plugs from your local parts store along with the gas additive,
You might want to look at my list at the top of the D2 section for Major services and do it all, especially the front drive shaft inspection/replacement or rebuild.
I'm quite mechanical, at least with rovers. I've replaced both differentials in my 95, clutch, cdl, shocks, etc. Couple engines and the like in other cars. I'll start working through your list in the coming weeks. Got another issue I'm looking into first.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
81 Posts
Gas caps are a very common problem with our trucks so you might need to bite the bullet and replace it. They are fairly cheap. I had to replace the one on mine shortly after purchasing my 03 (same code would pop up after the wife got gas). STI wires are the best value, IMHO. Always had good luck with BPUtah for parts like those.

·
Throwing Money at It
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gas caps are a very common problem with our trucks so you might need to bite the bullet and replace it. They are fairly cheap. I had to replace the one on mine shortly after purchasing my 03 (same code would pop up after the wife got gas). STI wires are the best value, IMHO. Always had good luck with BPUtah for parts like those.
Very good. I'll order a new one while I'm ordering everything else.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Don't worry about the gas cap, rarely ever fails.
If you are going to British Parts of Utah, do buy a 180 degree soft spring t/stat and a new coolant pressure cap.
Tell them I sent you and you may not have to pay freight.
Buy some E3 #48 spark plugs along with some spark plug thread lube from your local parts store. I think Advanced has the plug, 4 for the price of 3.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
An evap code does not mean replace the cap. That story got started a few years ago only because people were too lazy to read the codes/ test and repair as needed. Instead they threw gas caps at it then went to a mechanic after that cap did not fix the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts