Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I think that i may already know the answer here, but this weekend we ran the Saints John Trail out of montezuma out to the top of Radical Hill Trail.

Back tracking on the way out, my rover was having some trouble climbing in Low. Truck was carrying 4 people+another 600lbs in the rear. She was heavy. There are a couple good steep climbs that the truck seemed to lug down on, while TC was losing its mind. Not enough power?

Am I doing something wrong in Low(D)? Should I be down in L(1/2/3?).

As I have a 2003, does the cdl make all the difference?

Thanks.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Having done some pretty heavy trails with a 03 D2 that was way overloaded I can say it will perform pretty damn well with just the traction control helping it along. That being said you can't overstate the importance of CDL. It helps out immensely.

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Once you shift the transfer case to low, push the mode button just under the shifter. Once the green M light shows up shift through the gears as if it were an manual. This feature works well and holds whatever gear the shifter is in. It sounds like you needed it. The low range on my 04 is very low. The high range is 3.56 I don't remember the low number but I've 5.etc...I think. Capable enough I'm saying. I know mine will shift to 4th gear before or at 20mph in low. Its never good to drive over 20 in low with Any 4X4

It sounds like cdl would be money well spent on your end.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. My thoughts are that I was charging them too quickly and thus with automatic in low it was shifting irregularly.

What is the best approach on a steep 30 degree + ascent?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Before you burn up your brakes by over using the T/C/ you need to convert to CDL,
You are close, send me your number and lets talk.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
There you go, the answer to all your issues, traction and tire wear. That CDL will give you nearly 50% more traction with out burning up your brakes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose so. I should start saving now evidently...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figured so much!

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
I just bought a '94 DI from a friend here in CT. He's away this weekend but will drop it by the beginning of next weekend. if you want the front output assembly off that DI LT230 I can sell it to you. I know it works but would recommend a rebuild only because of age. If you want the '04 CDL and the front output assembly I'm sure we can work out a good deal.

If you're still looking, let me know.
Cheers,
Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts