Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Genuine Land Rover Discovery Series 1 Workshop manual 1990-1994, under Auto transmission all it shows is the sump pan, control body and governer. There is nothing showing the insides of the main box, I was wondering if anyone knows why, I am a mechanic and have rebuilt many autos, but a genuine workshop manual is essential. Is there a separate supplement for the ZF Auto, thanks in advance, Regards Frank.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
beezel said:
we never rebuilt trannies. we just throw new ones in.
beezel, does this mean that they are too expensive to rebuild, I know that ZF boxes in trucks are too expensive to rebuild, it's actually cheaper to buy a Reco or new Road Ranger box and fitting kit than to replace the bearings in a ZF 6 speed truck box.
Surely there are parts (bands, etc.) that can be adjusted or replaced, do you or anyone else know where I can get a workshop manual for this box, Regards Frank.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bene said:
www.phoenixhardparts.com has really good deals on these trannies. i think they sell pieces of them too. maybe you could ask them about mauals. if not, i supose you could try learning German.
Bene, thanks for the info mate, problem is I'm in Australia, I can buy rebuilt Autos down here no problem, being a mechanic I'm capable of rebuilding the box myself, but not without the Workshop manual, Regards Frank.

· Registered
128 Posts
FrankS said:
Bene, thanks for the info mate, problem is I'm in Australia, I can buy rebuilt Autos down here no problem, being a mechanic I'm capable of rebuilding the box myself, but not without the Workshop manual, Regards Frank.

It's a real easy box. There's a few usual issues to watch for, none of which are in the manual. The ZF 4HP-22 is used in lotsa' stuff. I've been fixing them since the 80's. These guys in the US have inexpensive manuals http://www.atsgmiami.com . You can have mine if you want to wait for the mail, I've done so many of these, I haven't used the manual in years. Frictions, steels and seals are under $400 here form a ZF distributor, a LOT cheaper aftermarket. More like half that.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
frickjp said:
It's a real easy box. There's a few usual issues to watch for, none of which are in the manual. The ZF 4HP-22 is used in lotsa' stuff. I've been fixing them since the 80's. These guys in the US have inexpensive manuals http://www.atsgmiami.com . You can have mine if you want to wait for the mail, I've done so many of these, I haven't used the manual in years. Frictions, steels and seals are under $400 here form a ZF distributor, a LOT cheaper aftermarket. More like half that.
frickjp, thank you for your kind offer, I have sent you an email, I tried the web-site you suggested, they had a manual for a 4HP-20 for US$185.00, but not for 4HP-22, I will look forward to hearing from you, Regards Frank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.