Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am currently in the market for a new vehicle and I'm torn between a Tahoe Z71 4X4 and a LR3. I like the looks of both, the LR3 is roughly USD $8K more than the Tahoe but I'm concerned about the Land Rover's quality. I currently own a 1999 Ram 1500 and a 2004 M3. Both of these vehicles are being sold to get one vehicle that will serve all of my needs.

The reason I mention what I currently own is to compare against my test drives. The Tahoe is very similar to my Ram in that it is big and has lots of "cheap" plastic controls. It handles like a boat. The LR3 reminds me of the quality that is built into my M3. Everything is very tight, you feel like you are in a cockpit and it rides very well.

My concern is the quality horror stories I've heard. In an article on the LR3, the reviewer loved the vehicle but finished his review by stating that LR has a history of poor quality and this, coupled with an entirely new platform for 05, makes this a vehicle to be wary of. Not my words.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Land Rover in the past has had some problems with quality. However the quality has been getting alot better. If you compare the mid 90's discovery to the 00's, they don't even compare. It's almost like night and day.
As for the '05. I'm a strong beleiver in that any new design vechel needs atleast a year to get the bugs out of it.
take care
sam

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
What are you going to us the truck for??
Mike J.

·
Registered
4 Posts
get the LR3

I would say buy the LR3 - cross your fingers and hope that Ford fixed all the problems that the Disco's had in the past - and keep us posted on how it holds up...sorry, but somebody's gotta be the guinea pig.

My feelings though are that Ford most likely did a good job on addressing all the issues the Disco's had, and it will be a much more reliable vehicle overall.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have always felt the "Quality" of the Rover products to be first rate, dependability seems to be a greater issue to most.........That said, I won't drive a ford for that same reason, but my Rover has always got me home, albeit late, sometimes. 96 Discovery SD. I won't part w/ my faithfull "steed". Thank You, LRW.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Why don't you....

look at the warranties and coverage of each product, then decide what you would be happy with. In the end, if you are happy, that is the most important thing.

But I will give you a hint...... :D

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Dew,
Quality control on Rovers has greatly improved over the last few years, unfortunitly a lot of people use many of the Rover web sites to complain rather then to talk about the great time they had off the road last weekend.
Mike J.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Hope we are influencing your buying decision......

I just could not resist :drive:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts