Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Mr. t
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try this in this forum, though it looks a bit inactive.

I have a chance to buy a great shape 93 landcruiser. Apparently this is the "sweet spot" in terms of model year. Free floating axels, electric diff locks etc....
I've never been on a trail with a landcruiser to see how they perform in comparison to rovers. That's why I'm asking on this forum... from people that drive discovery's. I'd like to know your take on how they stack up against our trucks. And yes, I expect a little bias to seep through.
I currently own a 99 dII, 230k on original motor, with some mods and cdl upgrade. No lockers and I still need to regear, but besides that, the trucks a great performer on the few trails, snow, ice and sand that I've taken it through.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
Well, with front and rear lockers they'll go just about anywhere you'd want to go. They have a cult following just like Rovers. They seem to run forever - it seems nearly every LC out there has 200k+ miles. I've got an LX470 (Lexus Land Cruiser) with 238K miles and it looks and rides like its got 38K. Pretty amazing vehicle. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Colin

· Mr. t
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you sir. it's nice to hear from a rover guy.
Not sure if I'm going to bite the bullet.. Still have to drive it, test lockers, comp test, etc...

· Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
They are certainly well built vehicles. A friend of mine has a '95 LC with 263K miles on it and runs like a champ. He says it does very well off road with the lockers, as would be expected. That body style, the FZJ80, is one of my favorites. Great looking vehicle.

The kind of terrain you plan on driving over will determine if it is the ideal vehicle for you. They have a fairly long wheelbase and not-so-great approach and departure angles. Of course they can be lifted and modified to improve all that. Just depends on what you're planning to use it for. Rock crawling? Probably better vehicles out there. Expedition rig? Heck yeah. General off roading, mountain passes, etc? Check, check, and check. As I already stated, they are uber reliable, have a good aftermarket support, albeit a bit expensive, and are very comfortable. I'd love to add one to my fleet.

Here's a '93 with a few mods doing some pretty good stuff - FZJ80.

Colin

· Mr. t
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man this is so helpful. Thanks a ton for taking the time.
I must admit, I'm one of those guys who has overbuilt his rover vs what it's "actually" used for. Though my truck does see action on the regular, it's never anything extreme. It's mainly my hunting/hauling/it's raining too hard for my S2000, truck now. I've always told myself that I was going to make it too a rover meet, but never have. And now since I got my S2000, my attention's been diverted a bit.
My idea with the LC is to keep it a little more tame.....lift, nice tires and that's about it. It would be totally suitable for hunting, snow and ice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.