Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking around the forum and finding a receipt from exactly 3 years ago and 30K miles for a water pump and hose replacement on the 1996 Discovery SE7 gives me pause. Is this normal? Additionally, I just found out that the "number one rated," by area customers, service center that did the job did NOT put sealer on the two long bolts that pass through the water jacket and the top bolt is immovable. I don't see how soaking with penetrating oils or heat will loosen this bolt if corrosion has it seated in the block where nothing can get to it. Warranty was for "2 year/24,000 miles"...

·
Registered
720 Posts
I replaced the water pump on my wife's Disco last spring. I remember how those two bolts would have wet threads when I test fitted them on assembly. Of course, I used thread sealer as suggested in the Haynes manual, but this is a bad design. Exactly how you are supposed to keep coolant off the threads during assembly is beyond me - perhaps compressed air could dry the threads in the block but that introduces further risks. The real problem is that the threads go all the way through into the water jacket.

To answer your question, no, a water pump should last a long time, much more than 30k miles. Is your serpentine belt tensioner putting too much tension on all its components? Also, I have read that the viscous coupling on the fan, once too old, can add stress on all the components, especially the water pump. Was the water pump low quality (it's impossible to tell these days)?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have ALWAYS got more than 100k on factory water pumps...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts