Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Throwing Money at It
1995 Land Rover Discovery
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a large coolant leak last year from my timing cover seal, on the Driver's(LH) side. I had a local shop replace the gasket, as I was three days from moving cross-country, and couldn't spare the time to deal with it.

Fast forward to now. Last week, I replaced my Crank Position Sensor, as the old one had failed. I decided that it was a good time to change out the coolant as well, since the stuff in it was a little old and watered down(seeping headgasket on the LH side). I ended up just opening the bleed hole on the top and filling the expansion tank until I saw only new coolant coming out(I know, I know, not the right way to do it). Now, today, I took off on a short road trip, and 70 miles in I pulled over for gas, and saw a large volume of coolant leaking down from the bottom of the truck. I topped it off, drove a few miles, then called for a tow home. Looking up from the bottom of the truck with the plastic removed, the coolant is streaming down the front of the engine, looks like possibly from the passenger(RH) side. I can't see the source, but the belt driven accessories are all coated, and the whole front of the motor looks wet. I'm eating dinner, then going out to take another quick look, but does anyone have any ideas? Would the timing cover gasket fail so soon after replacement? Or would a leaking water pump do this?

Basically, where should I be looking to confirm/disprove a timing cover gasket, water pump gasket, or water pump?

Oh, forgot to mention. This time, it decided to start hemorrhaging coolant two weeks before I move, instead of three days. At least it's giving me a little more time this go-around.

·
Throwing Money at It
1995 Land Rover Discovery
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: Upon closer examination, I have water squirting from the water pump weep hole. Doesn't appear to be nearly enough water to account for the leak I'm seeing, but I suppose I'll replace the water pump and see what happens.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.