Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
It is a choice made for the XD. The large hood, when clean, reflects .a lot of light when you are driving into the sun. The flat black vynl or sticker reduces the reflected light.

It is just a thing of personal choice, unless you own a XD, then it is standard.

Adam in NYC

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
rmuller said:
Keptin, you can also order from Vigg Designs (www.viggdesigns.com) .. he has both 3M and Avery.. Has a long standing reputation for selling blackouts too..
....sweet, thanks :) ...now I recall; vigg designs....it looks like they have dropped the price a bit since I was looking last summer.

What is the difference between Avery vinyl, and 3M vinyl??? and standing records/rumors about which one is better?

Avery is $60....where as 3M is $90! Ouch!

·
2,986 Posts
Both are great materials.. I believe 3M is rated as a 7 (or 5) year vinyl, while Avery is rated as a 5 (or 3) year vinyl.. I think I have Avery (Didn't look when I pulled it off the shelf), and it's withstood a ton of beatings of tree limbs and harsh summers for a year and a half now.

That being said, wait until after the New Year.. I'll be talking to Serg to have Vigg Designs be a sponsor here, and get some special pricing.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Will do....would love to get a special price or maybe do a group buy on some. I was going to get one around then so it will be perfect timing. If I can get a deal I think I will go with the 3M vinyl.......if it comes down to brand then i like 3M better....plus....I dont want to have to buy another one in a long long time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys, sorry for the delay, Christmas & kids!!!!! Cheers for the info but souns like I dont or should'nt use one of these as I guess it will keep the heat in rather than out aye..... Must say they look neat but id have to put vents on the drop the degrees down :rolleyes: Thanks again, Craig.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
on what?? a disco?? I shouldnt think so.....who told you that? I ton of people are running with them, why should a piece of vinyl act as an insolator? The sticker would be the same if not similar to having a black rover. The heat is dissapated through the back of the hood on my DII...and the radiator takes care of the rest...

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
rmuller said:
If you really want, we could make you one in chrome instead, to reflect the light.. dunno if it would do any good though :)
lol :lol:

...I think that might defeat the purpose....unless it was for pure bling. Since ive got a white rover the sun reflections can be pretty bad at high angles.....I would be more then just for looks....but the looks are part of it :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
keptin said:
on what?? a disco?? I shouldnt think so.....who told you that? I ton of people are running with them, why should a piece of vinyl act as an insolator? The sticker would be the same if not similar to having a black rover. The heat is dissapated through the back of the hood on my DII...and the radiator takes care of the rest...
Cheers mate but I was trying to clear some heat from under the hood thats all as when I tow (most weeks with 2-3 tons on the back) it gets a bit warm when climbing the mountain ranges we have all about us here in the Coromandel area.

The vinyl would be good I guess for the upper spot lights I have for the hunting trips I guess.............

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
There wont be any problems at all...the flat black vinyl will get the hood hot, but I dont think the majority of the heat is dissipated through the hood itself anyway...most of it probably goes out the back when you are sitting still and there is always good airflow throughout the engine area when you are moving on roads.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Bene said:
has anyone ever thought about painting it on?
Going to have mine painted on someday soon.... we've been to busy making sure the thing can run for more than 3 weeks solid - haha

but... Jen's going to have one of the guys at her work use black military paint. They repair and paint alot of military trucks so maybe the next time they get one in I'll go drop off my hood! :)

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Why not support a longtime LRO member? Chris Hyde makes and sells them and I don't recall anyone saying anything negative about his.

Yes, the flat black surface might give a little bit of sunlight absorbsion, but it isn't going to make your engine run any hotter. Just don't tell your engine what colour the OTHER side of the hood is.

FWIW, 3M doesn't shrink as much as cheap vinyl.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.