Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 Disco. For the past several years I have noticed a bit of water dripping down onto the front passenger floor when it rains. I did discover some flaking welds just below the plastic front windshield trim which I calked. Did not help. Now there is water leaking onto the drivers side floor as well.

I was wondering if the leaks could be a result of my front windshield being cracked. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Ed in Calgary Alberta

· Registered
3,198 Posts
Could be windshield not sealed well anymore because of cracks.
Do you have sunroofs? If so, they have drain tubes that commonly get clogged and cause water leaks from rain.

· Registered
720 Posts
We have a similar leak in out '96 (front passenger foot well) but not on the driver's side, yet. Also larger leak on both sides at the back. I haven't been able to figure out where the water is entering. An experienced indie shop here in Vancouver told us to park in a garage...

Two different glass shops were amazed that our factory windshield wasn't a replacement because it doesn't really fit very well - the rubber covering doesn't fully cover the top edge of the windshield (where it meets the roof there's a gap almost big enough to stick your finger in) at all. Still, it is really just trim. The experienced "Broco glass" manager said to replace the windshield and see if that helps. I won't do that unless the glass gets broken however... too dear.

I have the impression (not properly tested) that the water gets in quickest when the vehicle is parked at a slant with the nose slightly up.

Apologies, all this isn't much help. Don't forget, this is a Brit vehicle!

PS: To get at the water easily, I removed the thick spongy mat in the back and folded back the carpet, likewise in the front where I keep a piece of wood to elevate the carpet. The Mrs. sponges out the water after every heavy rain. Finally, in the channel running along the edge of the floor under the rear door, there's a plastic plug in the middle.... remove that and the water can get out.

· Registered
17 Posts
Thumbs up Leaking WAS the door membrane!

Quote:

I posted this on another forum and as the Disco is of similar construction I would check the membrane behind the door cards.

Originally Posted by locket View Post

As you have mentioned wet footwells, the front doors. Do not discount the door membrane. I spent days with a hose pipe looking for leaks then finally found it was dripping from the bottom of the door card.
I wouldn't have believed it, but I opened both front doors and thoroughly "rebuilt" the shredded and non-intact plastic membrane, and my footwells are now dry!

I guess it's just the design of the door, I've had other vintage cars that I've had to take the interior panel off of (the door "card"), and didn't really bother to ensure the membrane was water-tight. No other car leaked into the footwells by that path.

Another Range Rover Classic oddity!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.