Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Discovery 97 and with only 48,000 miles. Just had a leak at cyl head gasket, got it repaired, and at same time had all coolant hoses replaced. Now, 3 months later, have a leak w/ the power steering fluid, and now also leak w/brake fluid. Should I expect all of these problems w/ my low mileage (never in accident or off roading!)?

Could the other two leaks have resulted from the repair done earlier? Whennit rains it pours I guess. Should I just sell it and buy another car? Any advice? Thanks.:shifty:

UPDATE:Good news, no leak on the brake fluid. And, the tech said that he's never had to replace brake lines in one of these cars!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
leaks from power steering fluid is normal for rovers, least from what i've gathered, but depends where it's leakingfrom. as long as it's a slow leak and it's not draining it out you should be fine. just carry some extra fluid with you and make sure you check it often. have a leak from one of the hosed on my power steering pump and it's been leaking ever since i've gotten in. Now i have a nice layer of dried up crusty crap on my track rods
as for the brake fluid leak. definatly try and track down that problem.
if you ask most people they'll tell you that rovers are leaky trucks and most of us just live with the leaks.. suprised it hasn't leaked before..
take care
sam

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Try a bottle of "Lucas powere steering stop leak" and make sure all the hoses are tight. Worked for me for almost a year so far.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I'll live with the power steering leak (got an estimate of $1,000 to fix it!), but I'm taking it in to see why the brake fluid is leaking. Thanks for the advice. I love my LR and my hubby hated it until it saved his butt and got him to and from work in a rare snowstorm that hit Portland OR last January. He woke me up when he got home from work at 2:30 AM and said "forget everything bad I've ever said about your car. I love it!"
Now with these latest problems, he's back to hating it again!! Fickle fickle!

Tire question: Can I replace just one or two tires if they are worn, or do I need to replace all four at the same time so they wear evenly? One tire center said that they wouldn't (against their policy) replace just two tires on a four wheel drive SUV. The two front tires definately need replacing, but the back two have uneven wear (due to a previously broken spring) but are in good shape otherwise.

Thanks!! Michele

·
Registered
317 Posts
LRDMichele,
I'd poke around in there a little closer to see where the PS fluid is leaking, it might just be a hose that's cracked.
Where is your brake fluid leaking from? I'd tend to that one right away.
Tires? I'd replace all 4. My wife currently drives a RAV4 that the previous owner had a habit of replacing one or two tires at a time (I could tell by the tread depth). If you have all 4 replaced and rotate them at every other oil change you won't have a tire problem...all will wear evenly, assuming no mechanical problems.

Now, having hoses crack and leak on a 7 year old vehicle isn't too much of a suprise regardless of mileage.

Make sure, if you have to replace some of the brake flex lines, that you get the system flushed out...you should change your brake fluid every two years...that goes for any vehicle, not just Rovers...

Bogatyr

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Yes, you have low mileage but the truck is going on 8 years old and seals do fail.
Make sure you use the Lucas for you power steering leak change the p/s fluid at the same time, it will make a big difference.
Have you ever changed your brake fluid, if not that is brobably why it is leaking, too much acid from moisture absorbsion. make sure you do a full brake flush.
Mike J.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the advice. No I haven't changed the brake fluid ever (yikes, I'm not car savvy unfortunately) but I'm taking it to the dealer today to have that done. I'm going to have to stay on top of these things from now on. With this forum, I'm inspired.

The dealer said that the power steering pump (or whatever that thing is called) needs replacing at some point, and they have to order new as they don't come reconditioned. I'll just keep adding fluid as needed for a while.

Disco Mike, I used to live in Santa Barbara next to the city college. Now up in Portland and loving it. Take care!

·
Registered
14 Posts
How many miles/kms has it done?
I was flicking through the manual, and Im pretty sure that the hoses have to be replaced at about 140,000kms.

·
Registered
1 Posts
LRDMICHELE said:
Okay, I'll live with the power steering leak (got an estimate of $1,000 to fix it!), but I'm taking it in to see why the brake fluid is leaking. Thanks for the advice. I love my LR and my hubby hated it until it saved his butt and got him to and from work in a rare snowstorm that hit Portland OR last January. He woke me up when he got home from work at 2:30 AM and said "forget everything bad I've ever said about your car. I love it!"
Now with these latest problems, he's back to hating it again!! Fickle fickle!

Tire question: Can I replace just one or two tires if they are worn, or do I need to replace all four at the same time so they wear evenly? One tire center said that they wouldn't (against their policy) replace just two tires on a four wheel drive SUV. The two front tires definately need replacing, but the back two have uneven wear (due to a previously broken spring) but are in good shape otherwise.

Thanks!! Michele
Michele... your hubby is probably pretty nice to drive you to the dealership to get repairs in his
"more dependable" car. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts