Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so some background. I have a 2000 D2 that I just rebuilt the engine. Everything went through a pressure test before the rebuild. To ensure I didn't have any compromise in the block or heads. Anyway, the machine shop that did the pressure test, rebuilt my heads, ground the block and heads for straightness, also fitted all new freeze plugs as my old ones looked like they were on they're way out and I want the engine to be perfect. Well, when I finally got her all back together I discovered on freeze plug to have a rather profound leak. And after putting some dye in the coolant, I realized that all six of the freeze plugs are weeping, some more than others. Obviously this is unacceptable. I didn't rebuild the engine just to have a coolant leak that if left uncorrected will lead to disaster. The machine shop said they would replace them free of charge if I brim in the block. But I obviously would like to not remove the engine, and there is no way I would take it back to a place that installed six (possibly all eight, I just can't see the two behind the flex plate) weeping freeze plugs.

I am looking for anyone who has had a similar problem, or those of you out there that rebuild these engines for a living or hobby. Is there anything I can do to remedy this situation without draining all the fluids and removin the engine? Is it possible just to drain the coolant and raise the engine up slightly, and only remove the exhaust, starter and engine mounts to replace them? Or do I just bite the bullet, remover the engine and also check the two behind the flex plate? Is it common to have every new freeze plug weep? Is it something that could possible be fixed with just enough heating and cool down cycles of the engine? I am open to any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, so some background. I have a 2000 D2 that I just rebuilt the engine. Everything went through a pressure test before the rebuild. To ensure I didn't have any compromise in the block or heads. Anyway, the machine shop that did the pressure test, rebuilt my heads, ground the block and heads for straightness, also fitted all new freeze plugs as my old ones looked like they were on they're way out and I want the engine to be perfect. Well, when I finally got her all back together I discovered on freeze plug to have a rather profound leak. And after putting some dye in the coolant, I realized that all six of the freeze plugs are weeping, some more than others. Obviously this is unacceptable. I didn't rebuild the engine just to have a coolant leak that if left uncorrected will lead to disaster. The machine shop said they would replace them free of charge if I brim in the block. But I obviously would like to not remove the engine, and there is no way I would take it back to a place that installed six (possibly all eight, I just can't see the two behind the flex plate) weeping freeze plugs.

I am looking for anyone who has had a similar problem, or those of you out there that rebuild these engines for a living or hobby. Is there anything I can do to remedy this situation without draining all the fluids and removin the engine? Is it possible just to drain the coolant and raise the engine up slightly, and only remove the exhaust, starter and engine mounts to replace them? Or do I just bite the bullet, remover the engine and also check the two behind the flex plate? Is it common to have every new freeze plug weep? Is it something that could possible be fixed with just enough heating and cool down cycles of the engine? I am open to any and all suggestions.
I know I’m digging up a 6 year old thread but I’m unfortunately dealing with the same situation. If you’re still on here, what did you end up doing to fix this?

·
very disco
1,312 Posts
I can’t imagine a realistic solution that doesn’t involve removing the plugs and draining the system in the process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah I expected as much but at the time was worried I was going to have to pull the motor again. I was able to drop the exhaust and jack up the motor to remove the mounts so that I could get at the freeze plugs. It was a pain but it could’ve been worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts