Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just got my 2004 disco and I plan on keeping it for a long time. Is there anything I can do besides the normal protectant to keep it nice? Is LR leather durable for a long time? Can I get it redone eventually?

Thanks, panzer.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
The best way to protect your leather seats is with seat covers. The advantage is that they will be in pristine condition many years from now when it comes time to sell your car, which, because of the impression of a well kept vehicle. Seat covers also prevent you sliding around on the leather in tight corners, and particularily when off-road, it helps keep you from ending up in the passenger seat. They help prevent 3rd degree burns in summer when you get in to the vehicle in shorts. The down side is you can't show off the leather seats. If you chose to just stay with leather, there are a number of good leather treatment creams that will keep the seats looking great for years, but they will wear.

· Underwater hockey is no dumber than any other spor
259 Posts
I totally concur w/ the seat cover suggestions. I've used them religiously in my 91 RR and the leather is amazing. Far better than any other Rover of this vintage that I've ever seen. And I use the seat covers as intended. I'm frequently driving home from the marina in my wetsuit or other paraphanalia sopping wet, the seat stays bone dry. I also use Eagle Ottowa leather cleaner and conditioner on my seats. They don't sell it everywhere, I had to order online, but it works quite well and better than anything else I've found in the stores.

· Registered
590 Posts
I use leather treatment every 4 months or so.
I live in So Cal so it gets hot, but never so hot that I will burn my ass off.

If you have leather, enjoy it, I always say.
My dad always had seat covers on his car growing up and Id say, dad, this is nice leather, why not enjoy it, he just said shut up and get in.
Then the car was stolen, LOL, the seats were the nicest parts to the car.

Anyhow, I know from past sales experience that if you want to get your seats recovered, the dealer charges usually 1000 to cover cloth seats with high end leather if that is a aftermarket option you want on your car.
So figure if you find out which companies reupholster seats for dealerships, just go to them directly and save yourself 500 bucks.

I think teh only time you should have seat covers is when you be getting in th etruck all muddy mudskipper styles.
I grew up at the beach and we always just threw beach towels on our seats and leaned fwd on our way home.

· Registered
590 Posts
BTW Panzer,
post a pic of your Rovers bud, especially the new one!!!

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. :wave:

I have to say im not fond of the seatcovers idea, even though it is probably the best by far for keeping them in good condition. I like the leather too much!

I guess ill invest in some high quality leather treatment(right now Im using TurtleWax leather cleaner/conditioner spray on stuff) and try and be gentle. The biggest problem is getting in and out.. im pretty tall and I crunch up the leather good getting in and out.

Also, the price of getting the seats completely redone, while a good chunk of change, isnt that bad. I really dont forsee having to get any seats redone besides the driver and maybe the front passenger seat. I dont have any kids or back seat passengers except rarely.

Thanks again, panzer.. oh and im in the process of buying a digital camera. ;)

· Registered
590 Posts
PanzerJaeger said:
Thanks for the responses guys. :wave:

Thanks again, panzer.. oh and im in the process of buying a digital camera. ;)

Panzer,
I reccommend the Canon Elphe. Built like a Land Rover as far as cameras are concerned. :beer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.