Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Land Rover Discovery 3 4L SE Petrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently ordered this item and want to know if the wiring connector is compatible with my 2007 model with standard bulbs (Pre LED)
Thanks
RogerD

·
very disco
2,740 Posts
What he said. When I upgraded my 06 to HSE, I discovered that the satnav antenna is actually embedded within the third brake light, and I do not recall that thing being openable/field serviceable

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have recently ordered this item and want to know if the wiring connector is compatible with my 2007 model with standard bulbs (Pre LED)
Thanks
RogerD
I'm not 100 on this but I think the 3rd brake light is LED, even in a 2007.
Thanks, this unit is in transit so I will let you know later

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What he said. When I upgraded my 06 to HSE, I discovered that the satnav antenna is actually embedded within the third brake light, and I do not recall that thing being openable/field serviceable
You are right the lens is not seviceable, you have to break it up & lever it off the car.
I am a first time user on this forum. I should be able to post something conclusive after I receive the new lens & inspect.
PS Their is no mention of the 3rd brake light in the owners handbook

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well, like I said I don't know for sure for sure....but I've designed lighting on heavy trucks and on airplanes, and just looking at that CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Light) I'd bet a 6-pack that it's LED.

Now, that might seem curious since the tail lights are incandescent, but hell my headlights are HID (Xenon) so there has been no real attempt to marry up different lighting technologies on this vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, like I said I don't know for sure for sure....but I've designed lighting on heavy trucks and on airplanes, and just looking at that CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Light) I'd bet a 6-pack that it's LED.

Now, that might seem curious since the tail lights are incandescent, but hell my headlights are HID (Xenon) so there has been no real attempt to marry up different lighting technologies on this vehicle.

Hi again. I hope your right. Will let you know when I get to install it
RogerD
PS The light is in transit as we speak. ETA 1 Nov - 21 Dec

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yes, please do. I've had my '05 LR3 for 16 years....that light has never failed (knock wood). If there were truly 25 or whatever little incandescent bulbs in that assembly, you'd think one of them would have gone out by now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, please do. I've had my '05 LR3 for 16 years....that light has never failed (knock wood). If there were truly 25 or whatever little incandescent bulbs in that assembly, you'd think one of them would have gone out by now.
Hi
Received Lens today. Just so you know, the light has not failed. I cracked the lens carrying timber on roof rack. Lifting up tailgate without thinking. Bad design.
I have attached some photos showing condition of old lens, Also a shot comparing both together. Also a shot of the internal wiring connection. Looks like they are the same. I am in no hurry to replace but will confirm when done.
Regards
RogerD
P Thanks again for your interest

Attachments

·
very disco
2,740 Posts
I used to tint windows, and I’ve removed countless third brake lights in my day. Those were the first exterior automotive lamps to LED, back into the 90s, as they stuffed thin strips into spoilers, embedded them into rear decks, and used otherwise unserviceable configurations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used to tint windows, and I’ve removed countless third brake lights in my day. Those were the first exterior automotive lamps to LED, back into the 90s, as they stuffed thin strips into spoilers, embedded them into rear decks, and used otherwise unserviceable configurations.
Thanks for that. Confirms what HOUM_WA was 99% sure that they are LED.
When you removed the 3rd brake light in the past did you smash the lens with a hammer & chisel it out (as per U-tube) or did you use a wire to cut through the adhesive like you would with a windscreen? The workshop manual says to carefully cut through the sealant using a glazing knife
RogerD

·
very disco
2,740 Posts
Heat, wiring, prying

1 - 12 of 12 Posts