Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

After lurking for a while ( I don't actually have a landy yet.....) I have a question.

All landy's are customised to the owners requirements. I appreciate that some insurers understand this.

I have 4 kids

If I get a LWB s3 or defender, can I fit bench seats with belts in the back and load the sprogs in the back legally?

Do I need side windows in the back if it is used as a passenger compartment?

As a teacher, I may occasionally need to ferry pupils around. If I get business use insurance can I do this legally as all school minibusses now must have forward facing seats?

I know I could get a 5 door landy, but I'll need the back as a cargo/occasional sleeping area so I'd rather not have the second row of seats.

I'm in Northern Ireland btw in case that affects the minutae of the law!!

Thanx in advance

·
Registered
317 Posts
martinedwards,
Here in New York each seating position is required to have a seat belt for all post 1966 vehicles IIRC. That being said, I know I wouldn't feel secure having my daughter in a side facing bench. So for me, the letter of the law is really irrelevant. For all of my complaining about modern vehicles, they do a number of things well, namely efficiency and safety. I'd say if you can't put a properly anchored forward facing seat in, then don't put a person in there.

Bogatyr

·
Registered
110 Posts
hi,
I have recently insured my 1963 landrover swb and was asked how many seats it had. I said 7, as eight or more comes under a kind of bus insurance.

Transporting pupils comes under a whole different kettle of fish legal and otherwise!

For the legal stuff check with an insurer
I went through firebond 0870 444 0556

I think the station wagon landys can fit 10 or 12 people in! but you can get forward facing seats in the back, or side facing seats that will both fold out of the way!

Public busses don't have seat belts, and untill a few years ago, coaches didn't. Remember that it will be a private vehicle too, Ie not for hire, in the same way a company car might be.

My landy doesn't have any seat belts at all! will fit some harnesses in the near future.

Check with your school too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know, I know!
I'll only be planning to use the drivers seat for 99% of use, and only have anyone in the back once in a blue moon. Sadly I think that I may have to get a 110 station wagon, unless there is anyone out there in landrover land who can tell me otherwise!

I grew up on a farm with a s3 swb pickup and spent the whole summer every year clambering in & out of it, especially when moving cattle. No seats even, just the wheel arches. Ah those halcyon days.........

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was under the impression that under UK law once all available seat belts were used, it was then legal to have non-seatbelt passengers in the inward facing seats as long as the police didn't consider the vehicle to be overloaded. Having said that I'm also pretty sure it is not legal to carry passengers in, for example, the back of a transit van where there are no seats. Its probably fairly easy to fit the seatbelt attachment bar used in the 110CSW to the back load space of the two-door 110/LWB

·
Registered
4 Posts
How many seat belts are there in the back of a police transit van, the sort they ferry drunks to and from the nick? None, just a cage, how do they get away with it?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just a recent experience. I used to instruct Army cadets and they have to be transported in mini busses and can no longer travel in Landrovers/bedfords as they both have bench seats. The Landrover (min 90s wolfs) have seat belts but the cadets still arnt alowed to travel in the back of them. :dunno:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I queried this with my insurer about a year ago, and was informed that if the bench seats were the original, factory-fitted ones, there was no problem with using them. However, if they had been removed at any time, the insurers would not cover the vehicle if bench seats were added, even if installed by a 'reputable person'.

Not sure where you are, but that would appear to be how my UK insurers saw things. Still, great excuse not to car share - that, and I don't think they like my style of driving much anyway, going by the indentation marks their fingers generally leave in the seats/walls/ceiling/dash...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts