Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fire Sucks! Monday I was at work trying to cap a 2" Natural gas line. This had to be done with gas still on to keep from shutting down an entire block. (Working at a major college makes it hard toshut anything down) Long story short my coworker was using a cordless sawsall to make the cut. Anyone who has ever looked inside the vent of a power tool knows it creates sparks. Just as I was thinking of this the gas flashed up. Biggest problems were I was standing over the line and the gas was still on. So instead of just a flash, it became a torch. Spent the day at Parkland Memorial Hospital, who has a great rep for burn treatment.Probably wont return to work this week. So If you ever have to cut a liive gas line DO IT WITH A HAND SAW!!!!

Posting the pic as a discouragement to playing with fire and a reminder to always THINK before you begin a job. Oh and never trust someone else with your safety, even if he is the Master Plumber with 20yrs experience and your just the helper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
734 Posts
wolf said:
OUCH! :eek:
i was gonna put on a pic of the sliver i got in my finger putting my daughters bed together, but nevermind. :)

get better buddy!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:


Hope your friend is ok........ :drink1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he wasn't much of a buddy BEFORE this, just a co-worker. I think even less of him now, as it was his idea to use to power tool. He came out without a scratch somehow. Guess the bottom line is I shouldn't hold it against him too much as I should've known better and stopped him!!

Funrover, ME too! Luckily it was just what you see. I was wearing a ball cap that protected a lot and was wearing long sleeves and a coat and gloves. Would've been a lot worse if it had happened in the summer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Wow! Glad you're ok jkb2002disco, sounds like it could have been a hell of a lot worse! Never thought of the powertool/spark thing but I'll always remember that incase I'm ever dealing with volative fluids.. Your accident can now be all of our lessons.. Oh and the quote:
Oh and never trust someone else with your safety, even if he is the Master Plumber with 20yrs experience and your just the helper.
, I totally hear ya there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
Lucky

jkb2002disco said:
Fire Sucks! Monday I was at work trying to cap a 2" Natural gas line. This had to be done with gas still on to keep from shutting down an entire block. (Working at a major college makes it hard toshut anything down) Long story short my coworker was using a cordless sawsall to make the cut. Anyone who has ever looked inside the vent of a power tool knows it creates sparks. Just as I was thinking of this the gas flashed up. Biggest problems were I was standing over the line and the gas was still on. So instead of just a flash, it became a torch. Spent the day at Parkland Memorial Hospital, who has a great rep for burn treatment.Probably wont return to work this week. So If you ever have to cut a liive gas line DO IT WITH A HAND SAW!!!!

Posting the pic as a discouragement to playing with fire and a reminder to always THINK before you begin a job. Oh and never trust someone else with your safety, even if he is the Master Plumber with 20yrs experience and your just the helper.


Your lucky to be alive and have all your limbs . you could of wound up in the
JFK ward at parkland , just kidding.


How can i say this ahh your coworker is FOREST GUMP.

Never cut through a LIVE GAS LINE PERIOD. I don't mean to be sarcastic
but someone with 20 years experience should know this.

You said only use HAND TOOLS ? Friction + Heat = Kaboom


No offense man but find a new partner ASAP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
641 Posts
Sorry about the burn man, I had a similar thing happen to me once (though not nearly as severe) I was loading wood into a top loading wood stove in the barn and I put some kindling in to keep the flames up a little and just as
I was throwing newspaper and twigs in the wind blew hard and blew down the pipe. With fresh kindling it flared up and blew a flame right in my face. Needless to say I didn't need to trim my beard for a while after that one. I was lucky too because I had several layers on. On my ship we use nomex flash hoods during fires/drills and are extremely careful to make sure there is no exposed skin anywhere on the body before we enter the fire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Owie! Burns are so painful, too. I'm really glad it wasn't worse, though. I hope you feel better soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DISCO INCUBUS said:
Your lucky to be alive and have all your limbs . you could of wound up in the
JFK ward at parkland , just kidding.


How can i say this ahh your coworker is FOREST GUMP.

Never cut through a LIVE GAS LINE PERIOD. I don't mean to be sarcastic
but someone with 20 years experience should know this.

You said only use HAND TOOLS ? Friction + Heat = Kaboom


No offense man but find a new partner ASAP.
I here ya but with a hand tool it's very unlikely, the gas line is a poly-plastic not steel. Steel=no way but i dont think the plastic would ever get that hot. The power tool was is common sense. It hit me a mere second before it was too late that this might happen!! But from here out TURN THE S*#T OFF!!!!
 

·
LRO Founder
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Oh man! I am sorry to hear that, yet I a relieved to see it was not worse. Get some rest and take care of yourself!!


Serg
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top