Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys hoy you guys been?? I have a question for you guys i got a 04 discovery 2 amazing car i do all the maintenance(60 thousand miles maintenace)rebuild the shafts new rotoflex, my disco is ready to get lift i am planing 2"lift kit (billstein shocks, terrafirma coils) this is my question number one, what coils you guy recommend medium duty or heavy duty??planing to put a metal bumper in the rear and buy a roof rack in the future , i lnow i gonna lose low end torque so i Want to change the differential gear but where i can find that gears? What is the siza i need to? What you guys recommend. Thank you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Go with the OME Sport shocks in the longer version, a much better shock.
As for the coils, how much and how difficult a trail are you running?
Will you have a bumper/winch and sliders?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No difficult trails for now i want to say medium category, for now i have sliders they are not install yet, i start to plan the rear bumper , but the front bumper is gonna take long time because before i gonna buy the roof rack, and for sure i gonna install a winch, i am planing to cross all the mexican baja and take trails to camp next to the beach so of you know about the baja 1000 thats the type of trail i gonna do, no that fast no all the time but is gonna be like that. Thats why i am interest in gears for the differential because i need torque and with the lift and tires i don't want to loose torque

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Contact Lucky8 LLC he can get you squared away on gears, springs and shocks. Good prices and great service.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
What size tires will you be running?
I have run a great majority of those trails over the last 11 years and believe me, you don't want to cut corners on your suspension, that is why I always suggest either the OME or the Iron Man Suspensions that will hold up and not leave you stranded.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks disco mike for the suggestion i gonna get the shocks you recommend because i know you reputation you got and for me the suspension is everything i want to do on the right way , i running factory size r16, planning to keep the same size of rim but with 32" is time to change tires so is a good excuse to lift the disco and rebuild the suspension (shocks,coils and suspension bushings) including the gears on the differentials, or just get the air lockers but i am not sure about that yet i don't know if relly i gonna need air lockers

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
What year is the truck, do you have a CDL t/case?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
You don't really need to change the gearing with 32" tires. You loose a bit of power on hills but nothing horrible.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Actually with 32"s you will loose about 1.5 MPG in town and 1.0 MPG on the road. As for low end torque, there is a noticable difference when you are crawling and need that extra push.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
My recommendation is to hold off, drive it for a while with the 32" to see what you want to do.
You might decide nothing, you might decide just higher ratio R&P's, you might decide to combine even higher ratio R&P's with lower ratio transfer gearing to keep the road manners close to stock but give you slower crawling when in low range.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know that Disco Mike had recommended the OME Nitrocharger Sport Extended length shocks. I have them and they are awesome, however get ready to remove you front cross member (or space it), get longer brake lines and re-route your abs wires!

All with the sway bars off!

Enjoy your Disco! Wishing my next project wasn't installing a CDL...

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Don't remove that cross, just have it raised by adding blocks to compensate for the taller lift.
As for the gears, Tom and I might differ on what to do, but nearly everybody I know in the SCLR, NCLR and the Solihull clubs rear gear if they are going to run into the moderate trail range especially if the have bumpers, a winch, sliders and maybe dual batterys.
You might want another opinion, so call Bill Davis at Great Basins Rovers in Salt Lake City, he knows more about Rover drive trains, then anyone else, hands down. He has been the main manufacture of gears, specifically for Rovers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts