Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Considering 2" Terrifirma lift kit and 235/85R16 for my 1990 Classic. Has had new diffs w/ 4:11s , upgraded axles and locker in rear when I purchased it. Will this affect the self leveling suspension with the added travel and heavier springs?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Considering 2" Terrifirma lift kit and 235/85R16 for my 1990 Classic. Has had new diffs w/ 4:11s , upgraded axles and locker in rear when I purchased it. Will this affect the self leveling suspension with the added travel?
I am guessing from your comments that you still have your air suspension as that is the only self levelling device. So are you putting in spacers under the airbags to get a lift or are you putting in longer airbags?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No air suspension, I am referring to the Boge self leveling unit mounted between the rear axle and the frame to compensate for heavy loads.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
No air suspension, I am referring to the Boge self leveling unit mounted between the rear axle and the frame to compensate for heavy loads.
I thought they stopped using the BOGE unit in the mid 1980's. The simple answer is that it won't do much unless the load is heavy enough to push the suspension below the original load height. It would be doubtful whether the BOGE unit is still operational anyhow. I have found very few that still work. If you lifted the vehicle properly through a body lift, rather than a spring lift, you would not have this issue and the vehicle would be a lot better off-road.

Look up the BOGE unit for a Defender. This is what I use on my Rangie with a slight spring lift. The Defender unit has a higher ride height, is a lot more heavy duty. I also made up a spacer for where it bolts onto the chassis that increases the ride height.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you I was also thinking a spacer to compensate for ride height increase. Anyone else with info or suggestions on their Lifted RRCs will be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Thank you I was also thinking a spacer to compensate for ride height increase. Anyone else with info or suggestions on their Lifted RRCs will be appreciated.
You can't really use a spacer on the BOGE unit unless you put spacers under the axle bump stops as well. If not if the diff was to go all the way to the bump stops it would break the BOGE unit as it would not be able to compress it enough. I have spent many hours looking at all the options. I do not really use the BOGE unit as a leveller, it is mainly kept there for better articulation of the rear axle.

Also they used a lot lighter springs on Rangies with the BOGE unit, so the "lift" springs you have purchased will assume that it is not there anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts